Thread: Using iReal b in private music lesson setting?

Question Using iReal b in private music lesson setting?

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone has utilized iReal b in teaching their students to improvise. I just got am iPad recently and looking to change to this program instead of band in a box. Just looking for feedback and advice

Thanks in advance

Hello, no one has answered anything for you yet, so here are some ideas (you have not given specific details of how you teach, instrument etc. but something here might help.)

- you can export audio files for students with ipods etc. (not MP3, only wav and aac export)

- midi export, they can use it in Sibelius, Finale, midi player apps etc. for practice. If teaching piano or bass, they can analyze the voicings or bass lines.

- use musicXML export (into Finale etc.) for further editing etc.

- exercises, other users have posted some here:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread....ractice-Charts
    or make up your own

- give them URLs or YouTube links to performances of songs they are learning in iReal b

- add text at any measure for playing tips or ideas

- any chart can be exported as a PDF or jpg which can be used on tablets, ipads, computers or printed. You could prepare a number of charts (and other notes) into a single PDF document for their lessons (PDFs can be imported into Kindles - or just printed!)

- a 'song' could just be text (very limited use!) - New song, Blank … just type in the Text window, you will need to tap to the next system below. Slightly useful perhaps?

-----
    If they have iReal b:
    - iReal b installs on the cheaper ipod touch and most android devices. Song files are compatible between devices, so you can send them songs or exercises for practice. You could use a specific 'name' in the composer field so it relates to you (easier for them to find the practice pieces you have created) and they can put them into a playlist; or create specific playlists with exercises in for different levels of students.

- guitar, bass players can use a connector on their iPhone (iPod touch) like AmpKit iLink or iRig:
    http://www.peavey.com/products/ampkitlink/
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/
    then run iReal b in the background and have the guitar work through the effects pedals on a suitable app (lots of fun, as well as a way to get them to practice.)

- they can use tap tempo to play along at different speeds; or set tempo at speeds you would like them to practice with (use text telling them the bpm in each song)

- use the Practice feature (in the Player window) for tempo and/or key changes each chorus

- use the scales or piano or guitar diagrams - in the Hub for reference or activated during (slow!) playback with each measure

- use loop for practice - ideas, riffs, licks etc.

- use different playback styles for fun

- they can use iBooks (forscore, PDF viewer etc.) to view a PDF of exercises, notation, licks you have prepared and run iReal b player in the background

- they could import the audio from iReal b, into a multitrack recording app (Garageband or similar), add their playing to it and email it to you for assessment

-----
    There is both global transpose in hub (android in Settings) for setting the transposing instrument, then song transpose for each chart. The player always plays in concert key. You will need to be aware of this if you are preparing audio export or jpg/pdf export etc.

I hope something here helps.

Thanx!!! I teach mostly saxophone and woodwinds. Your information is very helpful!!!

I use both BiaB and iReal. Use them for exercises and playing tunes.
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Mandolin, Improvisation Instruction

Very helpful for learning improvisation. It's being used at
    http://jazzharmonica.org/learn-how-t...azz-harmonica/
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-11-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Those are ideas I don't mind trying myself. Thanks...