Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piano chords and transposing instrument

Default Piano chords and transposing instrument

Hi,

I love iReal b! It has quickly become my favourite practising tool.

I play the trumpet and have configured iReal b using Hub -> Settings -> Transposing Instrument -> Bb. I got the Piano chords in-app to help me identify the individual notes in the chords. I can't read sheet music, but I can easily identfy the notes on a piano layout.

However, the piano chords don't transpose! I expected the piano notes to be transposed also...

If you play a song and the first chord is a C, the piano chords will show a Bb.

I would prefer the possibility where if you play a song and the first chord is a C, the piano chords will also show a C.

This would help me to identify the note names in difficult chords. If there's a E7b13 and the piano chords show the notes E G# B C D, it is easier to see that the b13 is a C...

Thanks!

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by pleiadian View Post
    Hi,

I love iReal b! It has quickly become my favourite practising tool.

I play the trumpet and have configured iReal b using Hub -> Settings -> Transposing Instrument -> Bb. I got the Piano chords in-app to help me identify the individual notes in the chords. I can't read sheet music, but I can easily identfy the notes on a piano layout.

However, the piano chords don't transpose! I expected the piano notes to be transposed also...

If you play a song and the first chord is a C, the piano chords will show a Bb.

I would prefer the possibility where if you play a song and the first chord is a C, the piano chords will also show a C.

This would help me to identify the note names in difficult chords. If there's a E7b13 and the piano chords show the notes E G# B C D, it is easier to see that the b13 is a C...

Thanks!

I agree! I am also a trumpet player and I need chords to show in concert form. So annoying with complex chords

Is there going to be any answer to this thread? I'm also a trumpet player and the fact that the piano chords are not transposed makes the chords useless to me. Please add the option to transpose the piano chords so the if the notation chord is a C that the piano chords are also a C and not a Bb!

Thanks!

We were wondering why you would use the piano chords. If you turn on the Chord scale diagram, you can see the notes in the chord.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    We were wondering why you would use the piano chords. If you turn on the Chord scale diagram, you can see the notes in the chord.

Quote Originally Posted by pleiadian View Post

I can't read sheet music, but I can easily identfy the notes on a piano layout.
    (Chord scales are displayed in notation)
    This would help identify the note names in difficult chords.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-12-2017 at 02:50 PM.

When I play trumpet, I 'think' in piano. When I want to learn a new song I first learn it on my keyboard which is transposed to Bb and then I can easily play it on my trumpet. When I'm using playing along with iRealPro it would be extremely useful to see the piano chords transposed to Bb so that I could immediately see the notes in the chord which I can use in my improvising.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicflite View Post
    When I play trumpet, I 'think' in piano. When I want to learn a new song I first learn it on my keyboard which is transposed to Bb and then I can easily play it on my trumpet. When I'm using playing along with iRealPro it would be extremely useful to see the piano chords transposed to Bb so that I could immediately see the notes in the chord which I can use in my improvising.
    So if I understand correctly, it would be your preference to have the piano chord diagrams displayed in the (globally) transposed-key (matching (the now transposed) chart) rather than the concert instrument key in which the player is playing.

Have I got it right?

You would like the piano diagram to be transposed along with the chart even though that wouldn't reflect a correct piano part for the song's pitch.

You could easily have that now using song-transpose (with transposing instrument set to C) but the player feature wouldn't be in your key.
    Have you considered using a 2nd device for the correct-pitch playback? You could export the audio track and play it back while viewing the (silenced) simultaneously triggered iRp chart (with the now transposed piano diagrams) or two iRp devices, one to play, the other to read.

) BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-13-2017 at 12:41 AM.

I *think* what you're saying is right, but let me give a more explicit example to make sure we're saying the same thing.

Here's an untransposed song with the piano chord diagrams:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	437

Here's the same song after I used the transposing instrument function to choose Bb:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	438

As you see, the while the chords of the song transposed (correctly), the piano chord diagrams remained the same. I would like the piano chord diagrams to transpose so that in the second photo they would show Dmaj7 instead of Cmaj7.

Yup.
    Using song-transpose instead of transposing instrument global transpose would provide exactly what you want for the piano chord diagrams. However, the playback pitch would also be transposed.
    Please review my earlier reply
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...2028#post42028
    )BOB

You would like the piano diagram to be transposed along with the chart even though that wouldn't reflect a correct piano part for the song's pitch.
    YES! That's what I would like, and I'm sure many other transposing instrument players would like as well!

You could easily have that now using song-transpose (with transposing instrument set to C) but the player feature wouldn't be in your key.
    The player feature not being in my key defeats the purpose

Have you considered using a 2nd device for the correct-pitch playback? You could export the audio track and play it back while viewing the (silenced) simultaneously triggered iRp chart (with the now transposed piano diagrams).
    That's simply not practical. I would lose the ability to quickly start and stop, loop, etc.

I think it would be quite easy to add the feature I am requesting as an additional icon named 'transposed piano chords' next to the existing piano chords icon. The programming would be trivial, but the benefit to transposing instrument players like myself would be tremendous.

Thank you for looking at this!