Thread: So What - Miles Davis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "So What" (for bassists)

A chart for bassists to use to play Paul Chambers' opening solo in Miles' "So What" against an answering backing track. It's just the meat part of PC's solo played twice to a coda. I had to stretch it out over double the measures in order to get a dotted-quarter-&-eighth-note effect in the chord player's response on Playback, so the chart looks bigger than on paper. Functionally, I guess it would be in "4/8" time, although it reads in 4/4 on this chart. Each beat here would be an eighth note on a regular chart, and every two measures here would be one measure. If you're having trouble with the timing, try using the drummer to add a drumstick click track for a while. PC's opening DABCDECD starts on the 2nd beat in measure 7 of the Intro since the sheet music I have scores the first seven bass notes as pick-ups. So the final D lands on beat one of the first measure of the A section. Play it through, you'll hear it.

So What (for bassists) - Miles Davis
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 01-09-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: cosmetic changes