Thread: Bars per line

Default Bars per line

Hi there

Tremendous tool, the iReal Book... just what I need!

Just charting out a folk tune in 3/4 which has 5 bars per line... is there any way to display like this? It looks really confusing to have 4 bars per line for something with irregular phrases...

Thanks

Richard

Welcome.
    It's less a question of "bars per line" than *chords per line*.
    There are 16 spaces in which a chord can be placed available on each line. A bar line can be placed in front of or after each/any of those spaces. This works well for tunes in "4" and those with few changes, less well for tunes in "3" or "5" or lengthy ones with complex changes.

Since readability is paramount, I try to opt for simplicity.
    It's your choice how best to display your charts.

For a 3/4 tune you could choose to have 5 measures of three spaces on each line with an empty space at the end of each line.

Some charts wind up with "leftover" measures or spaces.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with,
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Welcome.
    I guess that also answers my question "how do insert a RETURN?": just fill up the line with spaces.

(But I'm wondering what those red down arrows are for. Let's see if there's a manual I can read....)

Victor.

Default Red Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by VicDiesel View Post

(But I'm wondering what those red down arrows are for.

Victor.
    The red arrows insert blank horizontal space(s) between lines.

This is helpful if you have sub-bass notes appended to chords in one line and alternate chords above in the line below. Or the 1st/2nd ending line interferes with the chords above it.

It cam also be helpful to visually separate different parts of the tune.
    If there's room for some space below the intro, you're less likely to jump to the intro when returning to the "top".

When charts contain more than 8 or 9 lines the font-size is reduced.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Welcome.
    There are 16 spaces in which a chord can be placed available on each line. A bar line can be placed in front of or after each/any of those spaces. This works well for tunes in "4" and those with few changes, less well for tunes in "3" or "5" or lengthy ones with complex changes.

Since readability is paramount, I try to opt for simplicity.

It's your choice how best to display your charts.

For a 3/4 tune you could choose to have 5 measures of three spaces on each line with an empty space at the end of each line.

Some charts wind up with "leftover" measures or spaces.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with,
    )BOB
    I'm a little confused.
    Do spaces have to be beats?
    Can you put a bar of 4 beats with one chord per space? Thus having one line with 16 bars of 4/4 or 5/4 etc.
    you said;
    Can I do that in 4/4

Hi Bob
    I found it on another thread that you answered.

Is there a limit?

YES.
    It seems that the max number of systems (lines) available are 12. You can only use 9 systems (lines) without the font size becoming automatically reduced.
    There are 16 available spaces in each system (line) and with the addition of bar-lines, each space can be a complete measure (but with only one chord)
    There are a number of songs I have added that I use 2 spaces per measure (8 bars per line x 9 lines = 72 bars) On lengthy arrangements, I add additional pages (each page is added like a new song)
    Hope that's helpful,
    )BOB

Thanks for the info
    btw
    I was looking for a tutorial and found one for the iPad but not for the Mac version.
    With most tutorials I find myself wishing YouTube had a slow motion setting.
    It took a few time watching to see the space(not space bar) button being pressed 4 times per measure.