Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas for future updates

Hi -- First, I need to say that the new Player feature is simply outstanding! To think you've added this impressive feature for free to the iReal Book app shows your true dedication to your subscribers. My hat's off to you! I'm very grateful for this feature.

I've been using the Player now for about two weeks and I've thought of a few ideas I'd like to add to the wish-list. These functions would further enhance the Player as both a learning and a gig tool. Again, thanks for an excellent program!

Wish-list functions:

Automatically be able to play through the song list -- or move to next song in the list and pause until the play button is hit.

A larger Start button on control panel so it's easier to hit. (The scroll number information at the top of the panel could be put at bottom making more room at the top to enlarge the Start button).

Be able to scroll both forward and backward in the tempo bar (i.e. 1 Ballad Swing, 2 Ballad Even, 3 Slow Swing, etc.) This could be done by placing a minus and plus sign at the left and right side of the long tempo bar.

The next few suggestions may require a narrow bar be placed at the bottom of the control panel. This may not be as viable for the iPhone, but it would be great on the larger iPad format. I suspect more people will using the iPad as time goes on:

-- "Stop", "Pause", "Backup to Previous Song" and "Forward to Next Song" buttons on the chart page to quickly maneuver through a song list.

-- "Repeat a Song" button.

-- The name of the next song in the playlist in the lower right corner of the chart page so you know what song you're heading into during live gigs.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for this great Player!

I'd like to see:
    > sortable playlists
    > a remove duplicates feature for songs and playlists. Including the ability to compare differences and merge changes.

Thanks! Great app.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Eddy View Post
    Be able to scroll both forward and backward in the tempo bar (i.e. 1 Ballad Swing, 2 Ballad Even, 3 Slow Swing, etc.) This could be done by placing a minus and plus sign at the left and right side of the long tempo bar.
    Do you mean scrolling through the selections within the styles pack? This has now been implemented in our update v3.01.
    (App store app>Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by MindBridge View Post
    > sortable playlists
    Not sure what you mean, but you are able to rearrange the order of the playlists in Playlists>Edit, dragging the handle on the right up or down.
    http://irealbook.net/
    Help>iOS>Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by MindBridge View Post
    > a remove duplicates feature for songs and playlists. Including the ability to compare differences and merge changes.
    If you are importing a playlist and a song already exists in iReal book, it will not be imported. If the title is the same but different chords, it will be imported, re-named (with a -1 or -2 etc.) and that playlist adjusted to point to the renamed song so it still works as you would want it.

You can use the Web editor or Mac editor to merge and edit playlists.
    Currently not possible in iReal book (v3.0.1). (Even when implemented it may be still easier to do this with the other editors.)

In Playlists>Edit you can delete any un-needed playlists (does not delete the songs referred to, so if you want to do this, use this Playlist first to find those (user) songs, delete them, then delete the playlist name.)
    You cannot delete any library songs. And careful you do not delete any user songs in that playlist that other playlists might still need.

I hope this might help in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Do you mean scrolling through the selections within the styles pack? This has now been implemented in our update v3.01.
    (App store app>Updates)
    Yes! This is it exactly. Thanks for the added feature!

Hi and thanks for the ireal book, it is a great tool for practice. I do however miss some chords like the m7#5 and m13, which is used quite frequently in modern jazz. Using the mb6 chord does not work at all, since it is a different chord.

Default Links to mp3, midi, or videos

I understand that you can't provide melodies, but it would be great if there was a possibility to add a link to each song to an address where one can hear the full song, e.g a video on youtube. Maybe one could even keep the chords in the foreground so that one can read it while the song plays on youtube.

My ireal b features wish list:

1) The ability to push chord changes by a 16th or an 8th note. Also an ability to tie a chord over the barline as to prevent it from doing the really silly sounding redundant restatement of the chord in the following bar.

2) An interface that allows you to notate rhythmic hits or accents. These hits would be interpreted differently depending on style, maybe even the option to select which instruments follow the written hits. Rhythmic hits are a major part of contemporary music totally ignored in this app which discourages me from adding a lot of songs that I know will come out virtually unrecognizable.

3) The ability to select individual styles on each instrument track and set the swing ratio for each style. This would dramatically increase the creative possibilities for any user especially if these stylistic combos could be saved as custom styles. Maybe something like that could be covered in some sort of companion app.

4) More styles! If they can be designed in some sort of piano roll mode, I could churn out a couple hundred of them for you. I've been programming software instruments for 15 years and I'm well studied in theory and composition.
    I have a large body of work that one could reference if one were so inclined to ascess my abilities. Any style, any era, I can give you multiple variations on it.

I'm sure that I probably have some unrealistic desires here because I know that a phone is still only a phone and can only do so much but these are the things I'd want to see worked toward as the surrounding technologies continue to grow.

I'm serious about the styles. These are decent but I could deliver some killer styles!

3)
    Last edited by GeoffStockton; 02-28-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Hi, this is a small list of changes I would be happy to see in iRealb:
    - pasting text anywhere on the score, w/ the option of variable fontsizes
    - barnumbers
    - solving text overlapping w/ slash chords (ie, paste ´Fine´right below the chord A/C#)
    - section definition A1, A2, A3 etc
    - adding to a style (ie, slow bossa) a tempo indication (ie, quarternote = 100)
    - more barlines per page (12 bar limit...)
    - in the print dialogue: score should be printed starting right on top of the page instead of in the middle (printing a blues: the score sits right in the middel of the page)

Will be continued...

Additional suggestions and discussion can be offered in the Feature Requests forum:

http://www.irealb.com/forums/forumdi...ature-requests

Please search for existing threads on your topic before starting new ones.
    )BOB