Thread: Different voicings in player and chords displayed

Default Different voicings in player and chords displayed

Has anyone noticed that the piano voicings played actually don't match the voicings shown on the screen? I transcribed some of the playalongs and noticed that many of the played voicings use 9ths and 13th sounds which don't show up as possible piano voicings with the piano chords app. I thought I would just make people aware of this.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-01-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eranos View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the piano voicings played actually don't match the voicings shown on the screen?... I thought I would just make people aware of this.
    Yes this is true, they are not the same.
    The idea is to learn voicings from the diagrams as the measures are being played (presumably turning off the volume of the piano to practice with.) It is a visual guide for voicings of the chord structures in each measure.
    The player (pianist) is 'randomly' generated at the time of pressing the play button, with its purpose mainly for comping as part of the rhythm section.
    Sorry if this is not clear.

If anyone wants to study the comping style and voicings itself, you can export a midi file and analyze it in notation software (being random, it will be slightly different each time you export the midi file.)