Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Transmit MIDI?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default Transmit MIDI?

    Now that Android has USB Midi compliant support (if the tablet has a host USB port - as the Iconia A200 does) is it possible for iReal Book to transmit the midi data it generates to an external sound module?

    I know from personal experience that the Edirol UM1-SX for example, is "class compliant" and as such will work without any specific drivers as the support is written into the OS..much the same as in iOS.

    Thanks.

    PS: I only ask as I am interested in buying iRealb for my Iconia, but the audio sounds are a bit naff TBH...no offence meant...I realise it is a limited processing/ram environment!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Can the developer respond at all to this one?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Maybe one day. Definitely not on my priority list at this point, so many other more important features to implement first... no offense meant...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miden View Post
    ...is it possible for iReal Book to transmit the midi data it generates to an external sound module?
    because you can set the player settings (the number of choruses, style) then export the midi file of an iReal b song, you could look for a midi player app which will import then send the midi stream out via the USB port.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by massimobio View Post
    Maybe one day. Definitely not on my priority list at this point, so many other more important features to implement first... no offense meant...
    No offence taken I only referenced you in my last post, as I thought you would be the only one who would know for sure

    I have bought and used iRealbook on the iPad - but I am trying the Android devices now...see if I like them better.

    Dennis

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    because you can set the player settings (the number of choruses, style) then export the midi file of an iReal b song, you could look for a midi player app which will import then send the midi stream out via the USB port.

    Thanks Dflat - that might actually work...Cool, I will have a play around with it...

    Dennis

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miden View Post
    Thanks Dflat - that might actually work...Cool, I will have a play around with it...
    Dennis
    Hopefully you will be able to find a midi sequencer app that outputs midi. I am not sure if there are many around for either android or iOS. Years ago there used to be (stand-alone) sequencers that were designed just for this purpose with midi in/out/thru from Roland, Yamaha etc.
    Also you might want to add patch information (etc.) to the midi file so you can have it triggering different sounds depending on what style you originally chose and instrument sound you want.

    -----
    For anyone else interested, iOS generally has more professional and specialized apps for musicians at the moment compared to android and more hardware choices for connecting.
    A slightly related thread is here:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread....ny-experiences

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Hopefully you will be able to find a midi sequencer app that outputs midi. I am not sure if there are many around for either android or iOS. Years ago there used to be (stand-alone) sequencers that were designed just for this purpose with midi in/out/thru from Roland, Yamaha etc.
    Also you might want to add patch information (etc.) to the midi file so you can have it triggering different sounds depending on what style you originally chose and instrument sound you want.

    -----
    For anyone else interested, iOS generally has more professional and specialized apps for musicians at the moment compared to android and more hardware choices for connecting.
    A slightly related thread is here:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread....ny-experiences
    Yeah I already have all that data dflat - (midi files with patch data etc) I mean...I even had Unrealbook (on iPad) transmitting a setup message to my synth to load preset banks!! BUt wiht no "midi clocking" actually playing a full midi files was a no go. The setup files were simply CC's and restricted to a "one bar burst message" if you get my meaning.

    And I agree 100% with your final comment re the apps available for musos on iOS!!!

    Cheers
    Dennis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miden View Post
    Yeah I already have all that data dflat - (midi files with patch data etc)
    Hi Dennis, good you have your midi files completed already.

    Quote Originally Posted by miden View Post
    The setup files were simply CC's and restricted to a "one bar burst message" if you get my meaning.
    Oh right, you just sent out your initial patch and set up data as a dump, so no sequencer available. Admittedly only for iOS, did you look at Symphonix Evolution. They have a player version also.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/symph...2515?mt=8&ls=1
    I have not tried it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Actually no m8, have not looked at or tried Symphonix . I might have a look at it though - even though I don't have an ipad (as I said traded it for an android) I still have all the midi bits a pieces and cables etc...

    The only probs I found were using the device as both a chart reader AND for other midi/audio tasks...even though iOS is multi-tasking after 4.0, once the app lost "focus" one also lost control. About the only thing I managed to multi task successfuly was running other apps while using the music player...

    Thanks for the heads up on Symphonix though

    Dennis

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Do you have any questions?

Check out our Support page

Sign up to our newsletter
Join us