Thread: How do I create a "final" ending?

Default How do I create a "final" ending?

When I set the song to repeat 2 or 3 times, how can I create a "final" two or three measures ending? If, for example, the song is set to play 3 times, I can't use a coda or D.S. or D.C. because that will occur with each repetition of the song. I can't think of a way to create a 2, 3, or 4 measure final ending.

Thanks for the help....

My Blue Heaven (F)

You'll need to edit the chart to include a tag. I'm posting here an example of the tricks I use to do it. (It's relatively quick and easy on the "Max OSX" editor, but it will be more time-consuming if you're trying to edit on your iPhone.) Hope this helps. P.S. If I'm playing a song that I haven't edited, I just play my own ending, and most people really don't even notice! ;-)

Thanks much for the example (can I include it in my playlist?). So, aparently the coda only activates the final time through -- Is that correct? And, in the edit view, what does the down red arrow signify at the coda? And, finally, what is it that cuts out the bass at the end?

I appreciate the help.

Sure you can include it

Yes, the coda only plays once, after the final repeat cycle. The "down arrow" just means I've added some space above the coda so I can see it better. You can also put a double- and triple-arrow if you want more space.

Inserting the "END" code makes the song stop on Beat 1 of the bar where it's inserted (no matter where you place it) - this only activates upon the final repeat cycle also. Because of the tag I wanted to play, I had to edit-in that 3/4-bar at the end so it would stop on what really should be Beat 4 of the last bar. It makes the chart look goofy, but it plays fine. All songs automatically stop after the last bar on the score, but you can't always be sure what chord it will play. So, creating a "final ending" takes a bit of editing, but you'll learn to use some tricks to make it come out (more or less) the way you want. Enjoy!
    Last edited by DaleMac; 09-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

You have been a big help -- the example is just what I needed. I had thought the coda would be used each time the song repeated. But, of course, I didn't try it.

And, even though the crowd doesn't notice it (the 'polished' ending), you know that you and I would!

Thanks again.... I have some editing to do......

This is definitely an old thread but I have a similar question regarding inserting a "final" whole note measure. For Bluegrass songs the construction is A-A then B-B then each repeat moves to the next A-A, B-B. I'm trying to insert a final measure which end on a final chord. When I insert a tag with an END instruction the last B does not get played so the last repeat is A-A, B-END I'm not able to create a final repeat of B-B which ends in a one beat (or more accurately whole note) ending. Any suggestions are welcome.

FOR HELP WITH YOUR CHART
    For help with a chart post your chart here in iRp format so members can download it and open it in the editor.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...1154#post71154

The “best” answer for your situation depends on your specific chart.

It’s way easier to show you how to edit/fix your chart than to discuss and describe various abstract options.

That said, to get the player to end on the final bar of B2, you could write out another B-section as a coda. You could also write the B with two identical endings and end on the 2nd. A single bar coda might also work if you can tolerate the additional measure.
    If you have 2 chords in the final bar, only the first one will sound when using END. To have it end on the 2nd chord, you may need to split the final bar.

Post your chart…..

Ways To End An AABB Song (4)

Individual songs:
    8th Of January (Battle of New Orleans), The - Traditional
    8th Of January (Battle of New Orleans), The 1 - Traditional
    8th Of January (Battle of New Orleans), The 2 - Traditional
    8th Of January (Battle of New Orleans), The 3 - Traditional

)BOB

Thank you! Yes, in the future I will post the chart. I've learned a lot looking at formatting others have used in their own. Thanks for the suggestion.

After posting I had an a-ha moment and formatted mine the same as example 2. Exactly what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks again for the support. What a great app. I've nearly got everyone in my group using it as well. Still working on the others!

Usually willing to help a fellow Earthling.
    )BOB

More info
    How the Coda symbol works in iReal Pro
    https://www.irealpro.com/news/how-th...s-in-ireal-pro