Thread: New user confused, charts don’t play like original recordings

Default New user confused, charts don’t play like original recordings

Greetings.

I am beginning bass player and someone on another online forum recommended this app for practice purposes. I have just downloaded the smooth jazz song list that someone (thank you! my favorite genre) posted but when I clicked on for example Angela, Taxi theme, it doesn't sound anything like the actual song. Do I have to change any settings?

Also, when people upload songs here, if I mute the piano part and lower the drums and just let the bass part play, is that the actual bassline of the song? I'd like to try to play along with that and suppose I'll have to figure out what is being played by ear since the notes in the window are strictly guitar? Is that correct?

Thanks. I'm trying to read some of the directions that I'm finding online but since all of this is very new to me, I'm unable to process what I'm reading. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited: typed wrong song name
    Last edited by chillbass; 09-17-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillbass View Post
    ... it doesn't sound anything like the actual song...
    iReal b is based on 'simulated spontaneous' playing so each time you press the play button, what comes out is slightly different - based on the chords, style and tempo chosen (- something more like how a band might play a tune reading off the chords rather than playing exactly the same each time.) So it cannot recreate exactly any recording of the same song even if the chords are the same. It is not designed to do this.

However you will be able to use using iReal b for helping you learn bass. By muting the bass, you can play along with the drums and piano (there is no melody) to help with timing. Slow down the tempo for practicing riffs or ideas. Play with different styles to practice your bass styles. And you can study/listen to the bass line iReal b plays for ideas for the different rhythms (the developer of iReal b is a bass player.)
    Coming up in a future update is scales notated in bass clef for each chord which can help with improvising and understanding what notes relate to the chords.

I am sure others here will be able to help you with ideas of how to use iReal b or members of the other forum you mention.
    Thanks for your question.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    iReal b is based on 'simulated spontaneous' playing so each time you press the play button, what comes out is slightly different - based on the chords, style and tempo chosen (- something more like how a band might play a tune reading off the chords rather than playing exactly the same each time.) So it cannot recreate exactly any recording of the same song even if the chords are the same. It is not designed to do this.

However you will be able to use using iReal b for helping you learn bass. By muting the bass, you can play along with the drums and piano (there is no melody) to help with timing. Slow down the tempo for practicing riffs or ideas. Play with different styles to practice your bass styles. And you can study/listen to the bass line iReal b plays for ideas for the different rhythms (the developer of iReal b is a bass player.)
    Coming up in a future update is scales notated in bass clef for each chord which can help with improvising and understanding what notes relate to the chords.

I am sure others here will be able to help you with ideas of how to use iReal b or members of the other forum you mention.
    Thanks for your question.
    Thanks so much for your reply. So far I have been using the drum background and muting the rest to play along. I'm so thrilled to hear that a future update will include bass elements. I will pay full price again for such a feature if I have to. I look forward to using this software more and more as I move along in the learning process.