Thread: When Lights Are Low - Benny Carter

Default When Lights Are Low - Benny Carter

All the references I have are the Miles Davis’ changes. I researched and found that the original changes are rarely played or known, which of course caught my interest. If anyone has the original changes, could you submit to iReal-b for inclusion in the song list?
    Thanks,
    panos

I found this on Eric Felten’s web page:
    ”When Lights Are Low” is Benny’s [Carter] best-known tune. It is also his best-incorrectly-known tune. Call it on the bandstand and 9 out of 10 players do the Miles Davis bridge. Now, when Miles chose to replace Benny’s bridge with the A section in a new key, that was an interesting and valid jazz permutation on the tune. But how many players nowadays know that that bridge was a permutation? How many know the original bridge (which has wonderful changes over which to blow)? Playing that tune is a rough and ready way of finding out whether musicians have taken the time to listen to Carter, or whether the Miles 50s canon (worthy as it is) is as far back as their jazz education goes.

http://www.jazzstandards.com/composi...ghtsarelow.htm

Yeah, Miles screwed with (and screwed up) a BUNCH of tunes. There are several versions on YouTube (including Tony Bennett, Lionel Hampton and Benny Carter) with the real bridge. Tony even sings the verse!

Much better chords on the bridge to this one.

When Lights Are Low gs - Benny Carter