Thread: Chord Scales Feature... Some Thoughts

Default Chord Scales Feature... Some Thoughts

First off, thanks so much for iRealb! It's replaced Band-in-a-box for me, and I've used it successfully on a couple of live gigs (I play the sax and use it as my backup band).

Secondly, thank you so much for this scale/chord display feature. It is one of the most useful practice tools I've ever come across.

I have a couple of features requests that I think might make it even more useful (at least for me :-).

First, Mark Levine, in his book "The Jazz Theory Book", says to "think KEY, not scale". With this in mind, it would be a nice feature to be able to optionally see scales listed by parent "key" or scale. For instance, if I have the progression:

Dm7 G7 Cmaj7

it would be nice to see the scale options for:

Dm7 : C Major : D dorian - D E F G A B C
    G7 : C Major : G mixolydian - G A B C D E F
    Cmaj7: C Major : C Ionian - C D E F G A B

This would then tie the entire progression together into one key center. The above example is pretty obvious, but it becomes less so for a progression like:

Bm7b5 E7b9 Am7

In this case, some of the optional scales could include:

Bm7b5 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop : (more on this below)
    E7b9 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop :
    Am7 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop :

Basically, the harmonic minor bebop scale can be used on all three chords in a minor ii-V-i, and this connection might be lost if the related harmonic minor "key" is not listed among the scale options.

Also, being able to see relationships like:

G7alt : Ab melodic minor : G Altered - G Ab A# B Db Eb F

would help in learning the various modes of the melodic minor scale.

Which brings me to the second feature… can you add the Harmonic Minor Bebop scale to your list of supported scales? I see major, and "minor" (also called the Dorian bebop scale) and dominant bebop scales, but not the harmonic minor bebop. For instance, with the Cm7, the C Harmonic Minor Bebop scale would be a very nice option. The harmonic minor bebop scale is the same as the harmonic minor scale with an added b7 passing tone between the 6th and 7th notes, and is a mode of the major bebop scale. So, perhaps instead of the A Harmonic Minor Bebop, the C Major Bebop scale could be displayed?

In any case, thanks again for providing such a useful tool. I look forward to the continued improvements!
    Last edited by carneyweb; 09-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Hello?? Anyone?? Bueller?? (sounds of crickets chirping :-)

I was hoping for at least some "what the (bleep) are you talking about" comments on the above (actually, more like "what a great idea" :-) but you get the idea. Does anyone have ANY thoughts on what I wrote?

Hey! What the heck are you talking about?! Just kidding, excellent idea...
    Ahm, seriously, I guess you'd better re-post this suggestion in the feature request thread.
    I just stumbled into your post, as I was looking, actually searching, for some posting, to see if maybe someone else already asked for what I want... Not yet, as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by Upright Bassist; 09-17-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Link to thread added

Now that I checked your posts, I realized that
    • you are aware and use the feature request thread;
    • you made some really good suggestions...
    Last edited by Upright Bassist; 09-17-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Punctuation ... ;)

Actually... it must've been perfect timing... I just added it to the feature request thread this morning after I read your comment. Thanks!

This is it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carneyweb View Post
    First off, thanks so much for iRealb! It's replaced Band-in-a-box for me, and I've used it successfully on a couple of live gigs (I play the sax and use it as my backup band).

Secondly, thank you so much for this scale/chord display feature. It is one of the most useful practice tools I've ever come across.

I have a couple of features requests that I think might make it even more useful (at least for me :-).

First, Mark Levine, in his book "The Jazz Theory Book", says to "think KEY, not scale". With this in mind, it would be a nice feature to be able to optionally see scales listed by parent "key" or scale. For instance, if I have the progression:

Dm7 G7 Cmaj7

it would be nice to see the scale options for:

Dm7 : C Major : D dorian - D E F G A B C
    G7 : C Major : G mixolydian - G A B C D E F
    Cmaj7: C Major : C Ionian - C D E F G A B

This would then tie the entire progression together into one key center. The above example is pretty obvious, but it becomes less so for a progression like:

Bm7b5 E7b9 Am7

In this case, some of the optional scales could include:

Bm7b5 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop : (more on this below)
    E7b9 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop :
    Am7 : A Harmonic Minor Bebop :

Basically, the harmonic minor bebop scale can be used on all three chords in a minor ii-V-i, and this connection might be lost if the related harmonic minor "key" is not listed among the scale options.

Also, being able to see relationships like:

G7alt : Ab melodic minor : G Altered - G Ab A# B Db Eb F

would help in learning the various modes of the melodic minor scale.

Which brings me to the second feature… can you add the Harmonic Minor Bebop scale to your list of supported scales? I see major, and "minor" (also called the Dorian bebop scale) and dominant bebop scales, but not the harmonic minor bebop. For instance, with the Cm7, the C Harmonic Minor Bebop scale would be a very nice option. The harmonic minor bebop scale is the same as the harmonic minor scale with an added b7 passing tone between the 6th and 7th notes, and is a mode of the major bebop scale. So, perhaps instead of the A Harmonic Minor Bebop, the C Major Bebop scale could be displayed?

In any case, thanks again for providing such a useful tool. I look forward to the continued improvements!

This is exactly what I am looking for and have specifically searched this topic. Firstly it would be great for beginners like me but also i personally find thinking in terms of the parent key assists my melody making rather than my improv sounding like arp and scale exercises.

If not available on iRealb, have you come across anything similar for iPad? I know there's a jazz scale searcher for Windows - but not come across anything for Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by rahe View Post
    Hi, have you all the modal scales in pdf...
    ( Mis-posted as a visitor message, moved here)

rahe,
    Please ask your questions in the forums where answers and discussion will benefit
    Everyone.
    Thanks.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-15-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rahe View Post
    Hi, have you all the modal scales in pdf...
    Unfortunately there is no PDF from us with all the mode scales listing for your reference. You will be able to find something with a search engine.