Thread: Adding extra beats

Default Adding extra beats

Hi, I've just started using iReal b. I am very happy as a practice/backup app. However, I am writing out a number tunes from my reportoire. One in particular needs an extra 2 beats at the end of 4 bars of 4. (ie. add 1/2 a bar at the end of a passage). I have tried everything I can think of and can't get it to work. Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks.

You could tap on the first beat of the bar needing the extra beats and assign it a 6/4 time signature (if you have more than one chord in there, you might have to move the others around for the correct playback timing of those chords.) Or you can use the following bar as a 2/4 (it could still be 4 spaces wide.)
    Also the next bar it continues on to will need a 4/4.
    You can use the Insert button a few times (the blue+ arrow under the Text button) to add extra space for your 2/4 bar which will move the following bars forward.
    Also any space can have a barline assigned to either side of it if you need to create extra bars.

Thanks dflat. I have tried exactly that, a number of times, but it still plays 4 beats in the bar. I've change the bar to 2/2, removed beats... no joy.

could you post the song and we can check it? it does not have to be the whole song if it is a personal song, just the main problem (check the problem is still faulting on play before sending.)
    Mark the bar with text so we know which is the one needing 2 extra beats.

BTW, the amount of spaces in a bar does not dictate the beats it will play. It is still related to the time signature. For instance it is possible to have a bar just a single space, containing one chord with a barline on either side of that space - tap in a space, tap both left and right barlines and put a chord in there. At 4/4 it will play as a normal bar.

Clinch Mountain Backstep

Here it is. You can see it is after the 3rd bar of the B part. Tune is Clinch Mountain Backstep.

Cheers.

Clinch Mountain Backstep fix

fix (?) as above
    I think you mistake 2/2 for 2/4?
    Because of your overlapping chords I am not sure if there are two E - NC bars but you can easily delete if you need to.
    Does this solve the problem?

Excellent. Many thanks. I'm not sure why I was not getting the two beats, but your fix works. I have added the extra Chord in the E/nc/E/nc bar, tested the piece and all works well. I have posted the working version in the Bluegrass section. Thanks again for your help.

Mitch.