Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Way You Look Tonight - Jerome Kern

Default The Way You Look Tonight - Jerome Kern

Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-08-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Default the way you look tonight (alt)

Way You Look Tonight, The by Jerome Kern
    Last edited by alexandropulos; 07-29-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Default The Way You Look Tonight - Jerome Kern

The Way You Look Tonight (Gig) - Michael Buble vers.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-21-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread

Default The Way You Look Tonight (New Real Book 1 version)

The Way You Look Tonight - Jerome Kern

Okay, after some head scratching and then looking at the online help, this seems to work…

After a little thought, let me expand on this…this version should work when reading from The New Real Book vol 2,
    but if I had written that chart I think I would have put the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ending signs two measures before the repeat sign, if not even four for extra clarity. This would prepare you better for the extended 4-measure tag on 3rd ending.
    They could have done that as they had room—once when writing out studio parts I was told "Don't try to save paper, it's cheaper than studio time!"
    Last edited by jazzhound; 11-26-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: extra thoughts

Default The Way You Look Tonight, the "right" Sinatra changes

Way You Look Tonight, The - Sinatra version

You obviously put a lot of effort into the chord chart, but it needs to be edited because there are mistakes: You need to insert a coda sign at the end of the bridge, you need to put a double bar in front of the first measure of the coda, and a measure repeat sign in the last measure of the tune (before the DS al Coda). That's what I did and the chart now works perfectly. Please correct the mistakes and repost because this is a nice chord chart. Thanks.

This thread is helpful:
    Posting Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301
    )BOB

Thanks for feedback, when I make charts I am not concerned about playback, only for reading on a gig. I keep it as simple as possible while remaining accurate chord-wise and clear. But I see some may like playback for practice play along so I'll keep that in mind when posting charts.

This is my edit of ryancorbitt's chord chart. Played once through, it mimics the original Sinatra version on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ZGKALMMuc. The tempo is about 136 bpm.

Way You Look Tonight (Sinatra version), The - Jerome Kern
    Last edited by Keith88; 05-02-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryancorbitt View Post
    ...when I make charts I am not concerned about playback, only for reading on a gig...
    If you're posting charts for your own personal use, or to share with your other band members, please use the "Sandbox" section. If you're posting for everyone to use, yes, please make them playable (and include the composer's name). It really doesn't take that much extra effort. Thanks.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.