Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four - Miles Davis

Default Four - Miles Davis

Four (Fifth Edition Real Book Changes)

Four by Miles Davis
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-10-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Default Four - Arrangement

The version of Four in Jazz 1300 Standards is in straight 4/4 time.

This arrangement has the A section of the head in 2/4, breaks on the EbΔ and Fm7 bars of the head, and the tag that Miles played on the Blue Haze album.

The head is followed by two solo choruses in straight 4/4 time, and then a return to the head and the tag.

When the error message comes up at the beginning just click "OK."

Four Rev - Miles Davis

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 01-25-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Playback problems fixed.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Something messed up about this arrangement. And the second chord is not a B-flat minorin the tune I believe it's a E flat minor

The new real book is incorrect and a lot of it's chord changes.

There is also an error at the turnaround at the end you can play a D minor G7C minor F7F minor be flat seven at the end. Which is on the recording whichThe real book doesn't get it. And I'm not sure why you did this in 2/4????

That's one thing I discovered that you really have to listen to these tunes to hear what's going on with them because and you have to use any source to get the cords but you also have to listen to them to correct that source and be able to or ask somebody

Default Four better interpretation than previous ones here.

Four 2 - Miles Davis
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-25-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Maximumburn:

I think possibly you've mixed up the first two posts on this thread. The first post is of the (incorrect) Real Book changes. Hard to understand why, as the Real Books were produced by students at Berklee School of Music.

My post, the second one, which I put up last July, has the correct changes, plus rhythmic breaks, some specific bass notes, and Miles's original tag ending. The "Swing Two/Four" time was so the breaks would fall properly in the first four bars. As you'll see, using that time, iReal Pro only plays in 2/4 on the A section of the head.

Miles played the changes different ways at different times. It's a matter of taste. I chose to use Bb7, not Dm7 - G7, as well as Gm7 - Gbm7 rather than Cm7 - F7. Here's a transcription of one of Miles's performances that uses my changes:

https://jamiebreiwick.files.wordpres...les_four_c.pdf

These are also the changes in iReal Pro's own 1300 Jazz Standards. I've been playing it since 1961. I learned it from Miles's original version on the album Blue Haze.

I appreciate your post, as it made me go back and check mine. I found a playback error, which I fixed.

New versions, including improved ones, of previously posted tunes are welcome. (I'd be careful, though, of claiming that one's "is a better interpretation than previous ones." That seems judgmental and might get under even the thickest of skins.)

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 01-25-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Four based on Workin’/Miles Davis album.

The comp in the melody here would be nicer to sound than to the same one as the solo changes, IMHO.

The base line in the melody in bars 1-2 & 5-6 from Four And More album is found
    in upper alternative changes (Eb F G Ab & F G Ab G).

Four (melody-solos) - Miles Davis

shin1ro,

Great stuff. Love those changes. Thanks for posting it.

Your chart allows only one solo. Here's a revision that allows as many solos as one puts in the Repeats field.

Four-Rev JE 2 - Miles Davis

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Jer,
    Thanks for your improvement.
    Great to play along! Yeah :-)