Thread: wanted: just the good old Real Book

Default wanted: just the good old Real Book

I have about 1000 tunes in my iReal b, but i need a playlist with all the tunes from the old paper Real Book. Could someone send it to me or can i get it from this forum? I am pretty new to this forum, so maybe you can help me out.

In the jazz area, in the "1200 songs" sticky thread, you can download the songs that make up a pretty comprehensive list of songs from several "real books".
    It might be a bit lengthy, but you could download that list. What happens is:
    - tunes you already have are not duplicated
    - tunes you modified are

What you WILL have, though, is a playlist with those 1200 songs, so you could match them up with the real book you're interested in and delete the unwanted ones (which will stay in your basic library if you delete the playlist entry, not the song, of course).
    The unmatched, different songs in the resulting playlist will have a "1" added to them (or other number, in order, if you already have duplicates).
    Hope that helps, and is clear.

Thank you very much. Yes, i could do as you say; download the "1200 Songs" and then remove the unwanted tunes. Isn't that right? But i am lazy, and was hoping that the list was already there. I know that there are several real books, but this one is the one from Berkeley Music College, from the 70's. You know what i mean? Otherwise i do it the other way.

I am very interested in having the real book also downloaded since I like to have also the melody part ( I play sax )
    Could somebody tell me where I can find the Bb real books to download ?
    Thanks a lot

I don't think you can download the entire Real Book canon w/ melodies anywhere online unless you wanna risk the bit torrent route (wouldn't recommend that personally). But, the Real Book series is now being published by Hal Leonard, & is available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0634...pt#reader-link

Quote Originally Posted by iLikeRealBook View Post
    Thank you very much. Yes, i could do as you say; download the "1200 Songs" and then remove the unwanted tunes. Isn't that right? But i am lazy, and was hoping that the list was already there. I know that there are several real books, but this one is the one from Berkeley Music College, from the 70's. You know what i mean? Otherwise i do it the other way.
    You wouldn't happen to have that in PDF format, would you?

I have some real books in PDF format. I know I have at least one in Bb. PM me.

If you want to really learn the tunes, learn them off the records, they'll be with you forever

I'm sorry I did not reply to this thread earlier. I compiled three separate playlists of the songs that were in the Real Books 1, 2, and 3 and were also (at that time) in iReal b.
    I posted all three playlists here in this forum.
    The lists are in separate posts, titled "Real Book I Playlist", "Real Book II Playlist", and "Real Book III Playlist".

I also posted a newer thread that contains just classic jazz and pop BALLADS, entitled "Playlist: Classic Jazz & Pop Ballads (& some Latin/Bossa) w/intros"

Perhaps they may help.
    Last edited by PrimeSax; 11-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Sorry to say the new Hal Leonard versions, though legal, suck (missing tunes, wrong chords, weird chords, different keys, time signatures,etc.).My fellow players and I find that we have to print out the old versions from pdf to replace our worn out paper copies.