Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La-La (Means I Love You) - Bell-Hart (The Delfonics)

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    I can see most of your points as reasonable; I used the arrangement I had transcribed for my band, mostly because this Delfonics song is not particularly well known
    (unlike, for example, the Carpenters' version of "Close to You" which I also did a chart for this weekend); in those instances, I'm like you and try to get as close to the hit recording as possible.
    Tempo: Did we play it a little bit faster than the original? Probably, again, I just went with the way my friends and I used to play it.

A few other points, however, might be worth making just for the record:
    I noticed that you had the "embellished chords" option checked and I never use that feature because I don't trust irp to do that for me, so I could see why you used straight major chords.
    I would take issue with your saying Am7/D is the same as D9sus; yes, of course they are in the real world, but I personally find irp voices those two chords differently; the sus chords always seemed to be voiced in a higher register or inversion.
    Your point about about avoiding spacing for slash chords would be reasonable if this was a difficult arrangement with very little space to spare, but it isn't here, obviously.
    Good point about Em/C being CM7; I should have noticed that.

You didn't mention anything about my meter changes to get the accented upbeats, so Im going to assume you were OK with that.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
    I can answer to a few points:

- Embellished chords are not saved individually for each song. I assumed it's a general setting for each styles. Mine is turned off for every styles. Just like you, I prefer to have control over the chords I write. You should check whether it's turned on or off for that particular style in you setting. Once it's turned off, every song using that style won't use embellished chords.
    - Keep in mind that in IRP, C∆ is the same as C∆7. Both are Cmaj7 chords (1,3,5,7). You might as well use C∆ to save horizontal space when you have several chords in the a single bar.
    If I write a C, it means it's just a major triad (1,3,5).
    - Yes, you're right, the voicings are slighty different in IRP player between D9sus and A-7/D. But it's just different inversions. It's still basically the same. Also IRP doesn't play the same inversion every time for any given chord.
    - About the meter change, that's your choice. In my opinion, since there's no way to reproduce exactly those quarter notes triplets with the player (even with a meter change), I'd rather make it simple and easier to read

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    I can answer to a few points:

- Embellished chords are not saved individually for each song. I assumed it's a general setting for each styles. Mine is turned off for every styles. Just like you, I prefer to have control over the chords I write. You should check whether it's turned on or off for that particular style in you setting. Once it's turned off, every song using that style won't use embellished chords.
    - Keep in mind that in IRP, C∆ is the same as C∆7. Both are Cmaj7 chords (1,3,5,7). You might as well use C∆ to save horizontal space when you have several chords in the a single bar.
    If I write a C, it means it's just a major triad (1,3,5).
    - Yes, you're right, the voicings are slighty different in IRP player between D9sus and A-7/D. But it's just different inversions. It's still basically the same. Also IRP doesn't play the same inversion every time for any given chord.
    - About the meter change, that's your choice. In my opinion, since there's no way to reproduce exactly those quarter notes triplets with the player (even with a meter change), I'd rather make it simple and easier to read
    Thanks very much, Cyrille, I am learning a lot today. I appreciate your taking the time for these very instructive comments!