Thread: linux

Default linux

Does the editor run on linux? OS X is a copy of linux isn't it? If not, could you recompile using gcc the gnu compiler for linux user?

OS X is not a copy of linux, it only has the same unix kernel as linux but nothing more. The program would have to be rewritten from scratch.
    Stay tuned though as I'm working on a new project that might be helpful to you.

There may be android emulators available now for Linux boxes that could permit the use of iReal pro (android) much like on a windows PC.
    http://www.irealpro.com/how-to-use-i...on-windows-pc/

Please let us know how it works for you.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by massimobio View Post
    OS X is not a copy of linux, it only has the same unix kernel as linux but nothing more.
    Last time I looked, OSX used a Mach-based kernel which is totally independent from the Linux kernel. Both classify as a Unix-derivative though.

Now you have triggered my full attention...! More!

Yes, you can run Android on Linux, for example in a VirtualBox. It can even run iRealPro .
    But it is painfully slow, too slow to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul63
    Hello.
    I'm a singer. In the past I got the gigs and hired the musicians. Hard work.
    Now I am hoping to be able to go it alone. I want to busk, with a collection of perhaps 50 jazz backing tracks.
    I want to store them on a device that will play them back through a portable amplifier which also has a line in for a microphone.
    I'm hoping I can use a small, old Samsung cellphone I keep around as an alarm clock and sometime voice recorder. Alternately I've got an I pod shuffle.
    But it all starts with finding the specific backing tracks I want from the Internet. A musician friend of mine told me about a website called iRealPro. And here is where the 1st in a small list of questions I'm asking which will ultimately lead to me being able to take my little kit and hit the road.
    The question is,.... assuming iRealPro is the only website out there specific to my needs, how do I download the tunes from a mac product to my ubuntu desktop to the recording / playback device??
    I've never had any formal computer training so please keep it as nontechnical as possible.
    My name's Paul Beckett.
    Thank you
    Hi Paul.
    There's some discussion in this thread that might be applicable to your Ubuntu question.

The easiest and cheapest way to do what you want is to simply use almost any (used?) smartphone or tablet.
    The newer the device, the better iReal pro will work.
    Most any device will connect to the Internet using wifi.
    Buy the iReal pro app at the OS specific App Store using the device, then download the song charts from the forums. You're all set.
    The device is portable and will connect to an amp with a cable from the earphone jack or wirelessly via Bluetooth.
    (There are inexpensive bluetooth receivers...I bought one for $5 on Amazon) it will plug into a mic input.
    Modern "powered speakers" often have bluetooth built-in.
    There are many players successfully using iReal pro for performance backing.
    Read this: (it's an old thread, but you'll get the idea)
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...valid-for-live

This may also be of interest
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...6637#post26637
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-14-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Moved from a private message

Quote Originally Posted by sciurius View Post

Quote Originally Posted by massimobio View Post
    Now you have triggered my full attention...! More!
    Any progress on this one?