Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really basic question regarding using iReal Book with MacBook

Default Really basic question regarding using iReal Book with MacBook

Honest, I've tried to find the answer to this extremely-basic question in the FAQs and forum, but no luck:

I don't use either iPhone or iPod. I just use my MacBook, which goes everywhere I go. Am I correct that I can use iReal Book on my MacBook, but that I'll need to get the iReal Book Editor (Mac OS-X) in order to do that?

Thanks very much.

Jack
    (nimbleswitch)

iReal Book Editor for the Mac, as the name suggests is only an editor. It can be used to edit and create new iReal Book song charts but it doesn't contain the song library included with the iPhone/iPod version.

Default Rephrasing my question . . .

. . . because my first effort was not very clear.

I am aware that iReal Book is for iPhone/iPod. I am also aware that iReal Book Editor (Mac OS X) is an editor only, and does not contain the song files themselves. But when I click on the link for info about iReal Book Editor, I am taken to a page that says this:

iReal Book Editor for Mac OS X

Main features of iReal Book Editor for Mac OS X:
    (Works with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or higher)

• Create and edit iReal Book song on the Mac
    • Many times faster and easier than using the editor on the iPhone/iPod
    • Open song and playlists you've sent from your iPhone/iPod directly from the Apple Mail on your Mac
    •Send the new individual songs or entire playlists of songs to your iPhone/iPod via Apple Mail or any other email clients
    •Upload a song or entire playlists to the iReal Book Forums
    •Open Forum songs or entire playlists by simply clicking on the links
    • Save the songs to your computer
    •Full Copy and Paste support
    •Full Undo support
    •Basic Print support
    •Automatic software updates

(No library songs are included. It’s only intended as an editor)

This suggests to me that if I buy the iReal Book for iPhone/iPod AND ALSO BUY the iReal Book Editor, I will be able to use iReal Book for iPhone/iPod on my MacBook by opening songs and saving them directly to my MacBook, without having to use iPhone or iPod. Is this correct?
    Jack

There is no direct way to send all the songs from the iphone to the mac. You would have to send songs individually or in grouped in playlists. Also there is no easy way to organize and search for the songs within the Mac Editor.

So, to answer your question: yes, you are correct, but it's a tedious and poor implementation of what you are looking for.

P.S. iReal Book Editor for Mac is a free download.

Default Thanks much for the quick replies.

I very much appreciate it.
    Jack

would really be nice to see a macbook version......any plans?

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    would really be nice to see a macbook version......any plans?
    How would you use it? The original idea was to use iReal book at gigs, small and portable, inside your phone (or ipad.)

You use a laptop as you would, not only for gigs but for rehearsals, practising.

Rig: Itunes on Macbook, or midi files, irehearse or amazing slower downer, Apogee Duet, real book.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    You use a laptop as you would, not only for gigs but for rehearsals, practising.

Rig: Itunes on Macbook, or midi files, irehearse or amazing slower downer, Apogee Duet, real book.
    ok thanks for that idea. We will give it some thought.

Grazie Mille, this would be excellent, would really love to have such a version.

I have the iphone and the Irealbook and several (don't ask) macbooks but not the iPAD. I would gig with a Macbook, no question. It just helps with the key change function especially when I am auditioning vocalists etc.