Thread: song sync via the cloud

Default song sync via the cloud

Does anybody know if it's possible to sync songs via the cloud (between my iBook and iPhone) ?

Bump

Anyone?

not yet, sorry.

Is it also not possible to sync via iTunes? When I sync, I can see that IRB has UserSongs.plist as a file but it seems to only exist on the device. I can copy that file from my iPad to the Mac desktop, and then manually replace the file for my iPhone and after syncing the iPhone will get the updated songs, but is there an easier way that simply syncs the newer version to iTunes and then to other devices?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Is it also not possible to sync via iTunes?
    No. If you make changes on one device, email it to the others then import on each. Only the changed files will import - where you might send a playlist with a bunch of songs, some of which are changed (if they have the same title, a number will append after the title so you know there is a change.) You could delete the changed songs first before they are imported so the title remains the same.

It might be easier to delete all the songs then just import the complete backup or all playlists into the other devices. Test this a few times so you know what to do (backup or send all the playlists and songs before you start the test just in case something goes wrong.)

Note for Android devices: currently Android iReal b (v1.5.3) will delete all songs but restore the exercise songs at the same time. Android can only handle importing about 300 songs maximum in a playlist or backup so you would have to divide up large numbers of songs. (Use the device's Settings>Apps manager to delete all the songs in iReal b.)

We are aware some kind of sync facility would be better and are looking at different options between all the devices.

Thanks for those details. For now I will probably continue to sync by copying the newest .plist onto the other device during a sync, but I initially emailed the file and that worked fine (of course).

My old Palm Pilot synced in a way that seems a perfect match for this, but probably iTunes can't really run a program quite like Palm Desktop. I suppose the sync intelligence would have to be in the device itself? The more I think about it, the less easy it seems since two different .plists would have to be compared for a 2-way sync. With iTunes, the device would have to compare its own .plist with the one on iTunes and then generate (and save to both places) a synchronized one.

For me, the whole-file sync is enough because I can remember to only edit the song list on the iPad.

Thanks again for everything you do!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    ...The more I think about it, the less easy it seems since two different .plists would have to be compared for a 2-way sync...
    Yes it is a little complicated, songs and playlists would need to be time stamped (or something) then into each OS.
    Thanks for your questions. Glad you have something worked out for now, and thanks for your enthusiasm and support.