Thread: minor 6th sharpened 5th chord

Default minor 6th sharpened 5th chord

I'm trying to write the second chord in Jobim's Corcovado and struggling. Any ideas out there?

I found I can write a Db7#9/Ab instead of Abm6#5
    Last edited by AlRealb; 08-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.

For reading/improvising purposes, the first two changes are | D9/A | Ab dim |

For using the iRealb Player, it depends on what you want the bass to play. If you want it to hang on one note (truer to the original, but which I personally don't care for) one solution is | D9/A | Fo7/Ab | I'd advise against your Db7#9 (mostly because the chord doesn't need to be that complicated, but also because it drives me NUTS when bass players play Db on the second change). For my purposes, as a pianist, the Forum chart in the "Brazilian 150" collection works fine. | A-6 | Abo7 | allows movement in the bass line, and I mute the piano track and play my own substitutions.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks for your insightful feedback DaleMac. I appreciate your point about the bass part.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    For reading/improvising purposes, the first two changes are | D9/A | Ab dim |

For using the iRealb Player, it depends on what you want the bass to play. If you want it to hang on one note (truer to the original, but which I personally don't care for) one solution is | D9/A | Fo7/Ab | I'd advise against your Db7#9 (mostly because the chord doesn't need to be that complicated, but also because it drives me NUTS when bass players play Db on the second change). For my purposes, as a pianist, the Forum chart in the "Brazilian 150" collection works fine. | A-6 | Abo7 | allows movement in the bass line, and I mute the piano track and play my own substitutions.

I think the second chord is Ab dim(b13), the b13 is a diatonic tension.