Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I import to iPhone from Editor

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Hi CHartman, sorry for all the problems you are having.
    Check that Apple Mail on your Mac computer is set to the default Mail app:
    Mail>Preferences>General....Default mail reader .... Mail.

Once this is done, Clicking Mac editor>Playlist to device (or Song to device) should open Mail and insert the song code into the body of your email. If you can use an email address from your ISP (not gmail) and able to pick this up on your iOS device then the code should stay intact. This might mean you have to set up a new account in Mail (Preferences>Accounts so they send from the ISP (or your alternate email address) and set up Mail in your iOS device to collect email from there.
    (But try gmail/hotmail first as they could work ok.)

Please let us know if you are still having problems.
    Thanks. But I cannot set Mail as the default mail reader, because it's not fully compatible with my work-dictated Gmail. On the other hand it would be very inconvenient to set it that way whenever I want to use the Editor, then reset it afterwards. There have to be *lots* of other people in this situation, since Gmail is replacing Mail at multiple businesses and institutions. There's got to be a solution, doesn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by CHartman View Post
    ...On the other hand it would be very inconvenient to set it that way whenever I want to use the Editor, then reset it afterwards. ...
    You do not have to have the account in Mail on all the time. You can set it up and turn Enable this account Off, when you do not need it. Is it possible for you to try this to see if it works? (then turn off Enable.) This will give us an idea what is happening (or not.)
    Thanks.

You do not have to have the account in Mail on all the time. You can set it up and turn Enable this account Off, when you do not need it. Is it possible for you to try this to see if it works? (then turn off Enable.) This will give us an idea what is happening (or not.)
    Thanks.
    I tried this, setting the Mail preference for "Default email reader" to Mail.[*] Then I chose "Email Selected Song to iOS Device." A new-message window appeared in Mail. But instead of a link it had the text (html) version. When I mailed it, of course, and fetched mail on my iPod Touch, it was still that version and wouldn't open iReal Book. So I must be missing something else, besides the which-mail-program problem.

I'm not sure how I'd "disable" the Mail account, though I can use Mail's own prefs to make it not the default email reader.

[*] This method has another disadvantage: during the five minutes while Mail was the default email app I got two messages, both of which ended up permanently shunted away from the Gmail I need to keep my mail in.
    Last edited by CHartman; 10-26-2010 at 02:00 PM.

...Then I chose "Email Selected Song to iOS Device." A new-message window appeared in Mail. But instead of a link it had the text (html) version.
    I presume you are using the latest version of Mac editor? (v0.6.4.) When it appears in Mail it will show the code. Once sent then collected on your iPod touch, tapping on it in Mail should open and import the song into iReal book.
    But if you are using a gmail address for this, then this could be causing the corruption.

...I'm not sure how I'd "disable" the Mail account, though I can use Mail's own prefs to make it not the default email reader.
    On your computer; Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Advanced,
    you will find the Enable this account box.

[*] This method has another disadvantage: during the five minutes while Mail was the default email app I got two messages, both of which ended up permanently shunted away from the Gmail I need to keep my mail in.
    You can email them back to yourself just so they are in the correct place (but remember not to directly reply to them as they have been forwarded to yourself.)
    On your computer; Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Advanced,
    you will see the option to 'Remove the copy from the server after retrieving a message' ... you can turn this off also.

I am still wondering if you are using gmail for your email and if you have another choice? as this could be causing the problem.

Could a Gmail address cause the song-thing to get rendered as a character string and not show up as a link? (That seems to be what's happening.) Unfortunately, though my email address looks the same as it used to, with a .edu domain, the institution's shift to Gmail (away from Outlook) presumably means that this address gets translated behind the scenes into a gmail.com one of some kind.

Any other ideas? On iPod Touch, iReal Book is a handy study device. But it's also making me think seriously about taking the plunge for an iPad. (A whole suitcase of fake books on one backlighted tablet??) I'd need to know I could use/modify it, though.

Slight updates: I have two addresses, a Gmail one and one (as I said) that doesn't look like a Gmail address but now automatically gets translated to https://mail.google.com etc. Earlier I was trying to send from Mail to the plain Gmail address which didn't work. When I try sending from Mail to the other address (my main one), I see that in the outgoing message the code does get highlighted as a link.

On the iPod, at the moment I have no way to use Mail (though I can work on that); I get all my mail through Safari instead. There, the message's content does not appear as a link. So I think the problem must be on the receiving end, a problem with receiving the file within a browser? Does that sound right?

I'm very happy to report that it now works -- now that I've got Mail working to receive on the iPod. Thanks! So far so good.

I'm not happy about having to use Mail on the Mac itself to send it. (It fusses with the system here in little bad ways.) It occurred to me that if the problem is with receiving the link-message in a browser, maybe I could send from browser-based mail on the Mac. But now when I try that (through Google Notifier, the only option besides Mal for a default mail reader), I get an error message: "Request-URI Too Large -- The requested URL /accounts/TokenAuth... is too large to process."

Anyone know a way around that?

Could a Gmail address cause the song-thing to get rendered as a character string and not show up as a link? (That seems to be what's happening.)
    I think this is possible and seems to be what is happening with others' experiences (but not entirely sure as I have not carried out lots of tests on this.)

...this address gets translated behind the scenes into a gmail.com one of some kind.
    This could be what is happening.
    Any other ideas? .... (A whole suitcase of fake books on one backlighted tablet??) I'd need to know I could use/modify it, though.
    You could find someone (family member or friend) with an ISP-based email address and run some tests using their email address (temporarily!) with the view to adding you as a new user using that ISP email system. Their ISP might enable different users under the same account without you needing to create and pay a separate account.

You might be able to find another user of iReal book and ask what email address/ISP they use.

iPad is very useful for adding all your music charts (iReal book and iBook app - showing scans of anything you need in PDF form.) You would love it.
    iPad could connect via 3G to an account (so you use this outside your work internet and email system entirely.)

... I get all my mail through Safari instead. There, the message's content does not appear as a link. So I think the problem must be on the receiving end, a problem with receiving the file within a browser? Does that sound right?
    I would think so.

I'm very happy to report that it now works -- now that I've got Mail working to receive on the iPod. Thanks!
    Great news!

...But now when I try that (through Google Notifier, the only option besides Mal for a default mail reader), I get an error message: "Request-URI Too Large -- The requested URL /accounts/TokenAuth... is too large to process."

Anyone know a way around that?
    Not sure what this means exactly. I know that many ISPs have a maximum file size restriction for (perhaps both) sending and receiving. This is why many use Dropbox or ftp or MobileMe (Mac), cloud-based services etc. for sending and receiving big files. Also if you are sending (or receiving) through your work, the computer system there might be restricting file sizes also.
    - Not that our song codes are large, but if there is 'corruption' or alterations/additions or confusion of what it thinks it is, then it might create an error message (as unhelpful as it is.)

Anything else to report yet?

... an iPad.
    If you had to, you could use this forum's Sandbox for transferring your charts if all else fails (just delete your post uploads afterwards - this is not really how we wanted the Sandbox to be used however.) If you can solve it another way via email addresses and Mail this would be better.

Not sure what this means exactly. I know that many ISPs have a maximum file size restriction for (perhaps both) sending and receiving. This is why many use Dropbox or ftp or MobileMe (Mac), cloud-based services etc. for sending and receiving big files. Also if you are sending (or receiving) through your work, the computer system there might be restricting file sizes also.
    - Not that our song codes are large, but if there is 'corruption' or alterations/additions or confusion of what it thinks it is, then it might create an error message (as unhelpful as it is.)
    (referring to the error message I got) I suspect what it means is not that the data in the message/object/iRealBook thingy is too big. As far as I can tell, the song's entire content is being used as the link. So Chrome looks at it and sees it as a URL too big to parse. Does that make sense?

There has to be an easier way to "package" the song for transfer to an iPod etc that doesn't run into all these variables. But I admit I can't think what it would be.