Thread: In The Evening (When The Sun Goes Down) - Don Rae-Leroy Carr

Default In The Evening (When The Sun Goes Down) - Don Rae-Leroy Carr

Hi there , I’d like the chords for piano if this nice song. Lou Rawls recorded one version with a walking bass, and if you have a simpler version that would be good also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkiDh...cgbG91IHJhd2xz
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-08-2024 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Corrected thread title format, moved to blues forum, added youtube

Thanks! Are the chords you sent the one of the version in the youtube recording, or Lou Rawls's? Also, are the two songs you sent the same chords in different keys?

Quote Originally Posted by ArneBlom View Post
    Thanks! Are the chords you sent the one of the version in the youtube recording, or Lou Rawls's? Also, are the two songs you sent the same chords in different keys?
    I used chords that I thought would provide a tasty bass-line for the Lou Rawls version in his key.
    For the more simple Leroy Carr version, I used the basic chords I heard played in his recording.

No matter if you use lots of extended chords or fewer basic chords the song is still a 12-bar blues progression.

Try this, pick a key in which you like to play the piano and transpose both charts to that.
    Slow down the Rawl’s tempo and adjust the iRp mixer to play only bass and a little drums. Then you play piano using Carr’s chords (in the same key).

)BOB

Thanks for the tip!