Thread: I Remember - Stephen Sondheim

Default I Remember - Stephen Sondheim

Hello,

I'm looking for a chart to Stephen Sondheim's I Remember. It was written for a play called Evening Primrose which aired on tv in 1966.

Here is a link to a beautiful version done by the incomparable song stylist, Nancy Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNsEA3bw7o

**I should say that I'm not sure whether this should have been posted in the Jazz thread...**

Thanks, in advance!
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-03-2023 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Moved to jazz

Try writing an iRp chart using this resource

https://www.sheetmusicdownload.in/sh...oad?i=NTI0NDM=

Then post it here.
    If you need help, go ahead and post your work in progress here.
    )BOB

Thank you, Bob,

I will definitely try! I am a novice at this, but as I was successful in creating a chart based on the last reference you gave me, I am fairly confident, here.

Tell me. Should I have received notice (an email?) of your response? I only learned of it after deciding to check on the status. But it seems that I recall receiving email alerts in the past. Has something changed - or perhaps I'm simply mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Altus View Post
    Thank you, Bob,

Tell me. Should I have received notice (an email?) of your response? I only learned of it after deciding to check on the status. But it seems that I recall receiving email alerts in the past.
    There’s a setting for that. “Subscribe to thread”

If you view the Forums through the app, while viewing a thread, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the *star* icon and then adjust your preferences.

Or, if viewing the forums in your browser select “thread tools”.

)BOB

I Remember - Page 1 - Stephen Sondheim

I Remember - Page 2 - Stephen Sondheim

Hello Bob,

I wasn't able to fit the entire song onto one page, so there are two. I think, though, that I have correctly captured the chords shown on the sheet music.

There are a few places where I would appreciate your help, is possible:

1) Can you insert the introduction? Because there are no chords given for the introduction, I was unable to include it on the chart.

2) I was not able to reflect the frequently used triplettes. I don't think that the iRp player allows rhythmic variation, but is there a way to mark the triplettes on the chart such that musicians can read them?

3) How would you suggest creating/labeling sections? The song revisits themes, but doesn't really repeat. So, I have labeled the sections A/B/A/B, but you will note that the first and second As are not exactly the same. Neither are the Bs. I could have used A/B/C/D, but these would only take me to the end of the first page...and I'm at a loss for how to

4) I would like to eliminate the final automatic chord -- on both pages, but especially on the first. I read some "how to" info on this, but frankly couldn't understand it.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Altus View Post
    Hello Bob,

I wasn't able to fit the entire song onto one page, so there are two. I think, though, that I have correctly captured the chords shown on the sheet music.

There are a few places where I would appreciate your help, is possible:

1) Can you insert the introduction? Because there are no chords given for the introduction, I was unable to include it on the chart.

2) I was not able to reflect the frequently used triplettes. I don't think that the iRp player allows rhythmic variation, but is there a way to mark the triplettes on the chart such that musicians can read them?

3) How would you suggest creating/labeling sections? The song revisits themes, but doesn't really repeat. So, I have labeled the sections A/B/A/B, but you will note that the first and second As are not exactly the same. Neither are the Bs. I could have used A/B/C/D, but these would only take me to the end of the first page...and I'm at a loss for how to

4) I would like to eliminate the final automatic chord -- on both pages, but especially on the first. I read some "how to" info on this, but frankly couldn't understand it.

Thank you.
    Here is my single-page player version with the intro.

I Remember - Player Vers- - Stephen Sondheim

The iRp player doesn’t understand triplets.
    Some users will place Unicode glyphs using text on their charts to indicate rhythmic information.
    Unicode glyphs do not display consistently across all platforms and devices.
    Here is some discussion:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...6053#post46053

Rehearsal Marks are placed by the chart-writer to make the similar sections of a song easier to recognize by the musician as well as an aid in discussion.
    eg. “Let’s emphasize the 3rd bar after the 2nd B”
    Many AABA songs use an extended/altered final A. That can be labeled AABC or sometimes dealt with by using a 3rd ending.

The invisible END symbol is used to skip both a written turnaround and/or the auto-ending the final time
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...-symbol/?p=all

)BOB