Thread: I Want to Talk About You - Billy Eckstine

Default I Want to Talk About You - Billy Eckstine

I Want To Talk About You - dp - Billy Eckstine

This song is included in the "Jazz 1400" collection, but I found myself wanting something a little more true to changes I've heard in vocal recordings of the song. (Not a criticism of the default chart at all, which is lovely!) I have listened to vocal recordings by a number of artists--including one by the song's composer Billy Eckstine--I felt like the last measure of the B Section might need something more for a vocalist at a jam session (a.k.a. me), trying to deftly transition back to the key in the beginning of the A section. So, I'm planning on bringing copies (of the chart I'm posting here) to the next Jam I attend, to see how the local cats (who are pretty credible) feel about it. This version helps me as I practice, but that may not be all that strong an argument for its existence! (By the way, OTHER THAN COLTRANE'S VERSIONS, if you want to hear a wonderful instrumental recording of this song, check out Melvin Rhyne, Peter Bernstein and Ray Appleton on Rhyne's "Front & Center" album.)
    Last edited by storylyricwriter; 03-26-2023 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Title capitalization

Nice chart.
    That tri-tone is a tasty way to return from the bridge.

The main use of the END instruction is to tell the iRp player to not play the turnaround chords on the final player repeat. It should be entered under the tonic ending chord (in this case, the 1st space of the penultimate measure)

You can easily experiment by setting the player repeat number to 1. And then starting the player at the final A section. It should stop with an unwritten fermata at the start of the 7th bar. Remember to reset the player repeat number when you’re done.

Thanks for sharing your easy to follow chart.
    )BOB

Thanks so much, Bob!

storylyricwriter,

In the turnback from the B section the tritone sub sounds nice, but unfortunately it conflicts with the pickup note, which in your key (C major) is C natural against Db9.

Might I suggest Dbmaj7? Or G7sus?

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

storylyricwriter,

Thank you. You inspired me to look into this tune further, and I came up with my own version of it.

I Want To Talk About You - Rev JE - Billy Eckstine

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

My opinion Jer, your chart is a masterclass and worthy of some study.
    Loving that IIb Δ at the end of the bridge and at the end of the form.
    Thank you for sharing your work with the community.
    )BOB

Bob,

That is very high praise, much appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website