Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summertime - George Gershwin

Default Summertime

Has any one got an easier version of summertime

Summertime 1 - George Gershwin
    )BOB

Default Improv on summertime

Hi folks,
    Got backing for Summertime in D major, any suggestions for a scale to improvise around?
    Not my strongest point being able to understand which scale works best.
    Any advice or easy reading material would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention I'm playing tenor sax!

Depending on what device and OS you are using to run iReal b, you might be able to use the Chord scales feature (in-app purchase.)
    http://www.irealb.com/features/
    Slow the tempo down. The scales for each chord in each measure will appear as a reference. You can tap any scale to pause play and choose a different scale for the chords to learn more note options. You would need to be able to read music notation.

Here's a simple trick that's easy to remember: If you're playing in a minor key, improvise in the scale one whole step lower. In your case playing Summertime, which is mostly in B minor (i.e. D Major) improvise in A. This is just a starting point and by no means the finish line.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Default Summertime

Quote Originally Posted by Peawack View Post
    Hi folks,
    Got backing for Summertime in D major, any suggestions for a scale to improvise around?
    Not my strongest point being able to understand which scale works best.
    Any advice or easy reading material would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hey, just noticed your post. Maybe you are cool on this already, but even though you could technically use Amaj, giving you B Dorian minor, and that's fine, the first half of Summertime is very bluesy and is in B minor in your key. I would play blues pentatonic in B minor to get going, and definitely add the blues scale extra passing note, b5 which is F natural to the scale. This will sound great and allow you to express yourself in the first 11 bars of the form.
    On bar 12, the key shifts to D Major, so try shifting to D Major pentatonic ( same notes as B minor pentatonic but with emphasis on the D major sound) then back to B minor/blues for the last 3 bars.
    Have fun.
    Dan

Default Summertime (Ella & Louis)

Regards,
    Tilden

Hi, does That Playing from an ipad

Yes, it was built on an iPad.

The arrangement is: Intro, 1st verse, 2nd verse, solo, 2nd verse again & ending.
    Regards,
    Tilden