Thread: MIDI Export Harmony Track

Default MIDI Export Harmony Track

Hi,

Using iRP for iOS on iPad here.

Q: What is the intended output of the Harmony track which is created as part of a MIDI Export?

My observation here is that the Harmony track is always blank. Is there something I can do to change that? Is it a placeholder for future use?

FWIW, I would very much like to see iRP export a track that consists solely of block chords, one for each chord change on the lead sheet. This would be in contrast (in addition to) the as-played performance MIDI which is exported now. This is actually what I would have expected the Harmony track to be, but as I say, it's blank here.

Hello, the music XML export file will have the chords, in the song form of the chart (meaning repeat barlines, DC, DS etc.).
    The midi export file will have the stream of the sequence of the chords as they play through the chart, related to the number of repeats, set as the player settings will dictate.
    If you use Jazz Long notes as the playback style, then export the midi file (perhaps set as 1 repeat) you should see the block chords, (as you hear them if you trigger play with this style).

BTW each time the play button triggered, or a midi track generated, the results are different. There are various voicings and rhythms built in for each style and chord so the playback or midi file is slightly random and exact play of the song is quickly calculated just after triggering Play and before the count in or song starts. (In other words, if you export the midi file into a notation program, then play the same song again in iReal Pro, the voicings, rhythms will not exactly match because of the randomness.)

Very good info, thank you!

Can you speak about the Harmony track?

Some playback styles have three instrument tracks, others have four. Where there are four, the additional track provides contrasting rhythms, voicings from the other, so they can be mixed in different ways to provide different backing sounds according to each instrument's selection (e.g. organ + guitar) or as an alternative, mute one of them. This means the same style can sound different from another song using the same playback style, because of different instruments are used and/or mixed (volumes) differently.
    Both are provided in the midi file and you can assign whatever instruments you like to them, edit, set volumes, pan, reverb, other effects etc.

BTW, the drum track is our internal track specifically related to our drum and percussion note mappings within iReal Pro. (It does not adhere to the General midi percussion map). Generally users like to find their own drum loops if using a DAW.

More good information, thanks very much!

You wouldn't happen to have a list handy of those styles that have 4 instrument tracks, would you?

(if not, no worries!)

You can tell by looking at the mixer in the player controls.
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...trument/?p=ios

Example
    Look at the Pop - Country style

)BOB