Thread: hits/chord changes on an upbeat

Question hits/chord changes on an upbeat

Is there any way to put a chord change on an 8th note rather than a quarter note? Like, if I have a song in 4/4 and I want the change to come on the & of 1. Specifically I have a song in 9/8 and I want the change to come on the fifth 8th note of the measure.

Quote Originally Posted by btng View Post
    Is there any way to put a chord change on an 8th note rather than a quarter note? ...
    Probably not, but you could try with chord placement in the bar - being 9/8 if you have 4 spaces in the bar, put the chord in the last beat? Or have 8 spaces per bar (if it plays in 9/8) and try on the 6th 7th or 8th?
    We are aware we need to have more specific styles out for different time signatures and rhythms in the future.

Glad this was brought up, I was trying to add jingles by wes montgommery to my playlist last night but gave up when I realised I couldnt add the kicks and it sounded very square...

Quote Originally Posted by GerRees View Post
    Glad this was brought up, I was trying to add jingles by wes montgommery to my playlist last night but gave up when I realised I couldnt add the kicks and it sounded very square...
    I haven't tried this yet, but would a possible workaround be to use 8/8 time for a 4/4 tune, or 18/16 time for the 9/8 time the OP was trying to get across?