Thread: Chord diagrams - display different voicing

Default Chord diagrams - display different voicing

Hello All,

It's been a while since I used iRealb and so I need a little refresher. As I recall I could change the chord fingering in a tune by pressing and holding a chord, but that doesn't seem to work now. For instance, let's say I was in A minor and playing at the nut, but wanted to move up to the 5th fret. How would I do that?

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Inky View Post
    Hello All,

It's been a while since I used iRealb and so I need a little refresher. As I recall I could change the chord fingering in a tune by pressing and holding a chord, but that doesn't seem to work now. For instance, let's say I was in A minor and playing at the nut, but wanted to move up to the 5th fret. How would I do that?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Some alternate voicings can be displayed. (Doesn't affect playback) As the "big" chord diagrams are flashing by during play, tap the diagram to pause, swipe left/right to see available alternate voicings. Tap to restart play.

When different diagram is selected, it will display every time that chord is used in the chart.

https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...voicing/?p=ios
    Scroll down to the guitar chord example.

)BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Some alternate voicings can be displayed. (Doesn't affect playback) As the "big" chord diagrams are flashing by during play, tap the diagram to pause, swipe left/right to see available alternate voicings. Tap to restart play.

When different diagram is selected, it will display every time that chord is used in the chart.

https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...voicing/?p=ios
    Scroll down to the guitar chord example.

)BOB
    Thank you Bob. PDX? I live in Corvallis.
    Ken

Yup.
    )BOB

That's a very cool feature, allowing as it does volcing-specific guidance to flash by as instruction or aid.

Two further enhancements of this strike me as potentially very useful also:

1. Allow the user's to define and accumulate new chord voicings in the library. (The current selections are not bad at all, but of course, far from comprehensive.)

2. Offer an "as played by iRP" option that will show off whatever iRP is actually playing. IMO, this would be a wonderful help to educate our ears. We could learn to associate sounds with voicings, follow bass, melody, or inner voices, etc.

Thanks for the tip. Cheers!

I just wanted to bump to this post, it's a nice discussion and I shamefully admit I didn't know how to change voicings until I read this post. Custom chord diagrams would be incredible, I'll tip your devs! haha. There are some artists, such as Dave Mathews Band that have unique voicings of chords that really impact the overall sound. Custom voicings would allow for better education, better SATB part writing, remove overly difficult redundant notes, allow for more creativity by avoiding cliches, etc...

It's a bit of a digression, but I have a similar problem when converting sheet music to guitar tablature. The computer often doesn't make wise decisions, and I have to comb through decisions to make it flow better on guitar. Be nice if someone wrote a tabbing script that taught the computer to make wise fret number decisions. Similar shapes are prioritized to take advantage of perfect parallel motion. I'm not the biggest fan of 6 or 5 note guitar chords, for a variety of reasons that would maybe be too lengthy to explain. Joe Pass is excellent example of the 4 note chord style I'm thinking of.

)BOB
    Is there any thoughts to enhance the iReal Pro app so different voicing/fingerings can be displayed for the same chord? This would be quite beneficial in helping new guitarists to select the right voicing in a given context.