Thread: voice search

Default voice search

Using the song search function last night with my bass guitar strapped on, it was quite difficult to enter the correct text at speed. I guess one option might be to use a Bluetooth keyboard but it would be difficult to fit on a stand. How about a voice search option eg OK ireal find xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewjg View Post
    Using the song search function last night with my bass guitar strapped on, it was quite difficult to enter the correct text at speed. I guess one option might be to use a Bluetooth keyboard but it would be difficult to fit on a stand. How about a voice search option eg OK ireal find xxx.
    Your post got me thinking...
    When I tap the search-bar at the top of my iRp library song list on my iPad mini, the keyboard appears. Just to the left of the "space bar" is a key with a microphone icon. Tap... Enable Dictation (tap)...
    It seems to work (even when not online)

Just checked my Android phone. It presented me with the option to use the "gboard" (Google) keyboard. It has a tiny mic button top-right on the "gboard" keyboard that appears when I tap the magnifying glass icon in the iRp app.
    It also works but seems to require an internet connection.

One of the iRp app "features" is that it doesn’t burn through your data except when downloading charts.

I don’t know if background noise might affect the audio search.

Thanks for getting me started

When typing an iRp song search, I start with the most "unique" word in the title. That way I don’t have to deal with an apostrophe.

Example: it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing
    Start typing: thing swing

Example: it's only a paper moon
    Start typing: pap...

)BOB's your uncle...

Excellent suggestion. Will give it a try!

My Samsung tablet didn't have gboard installed so have installed it now and sure enough I can now do a voice search! I guess it might be problematic in a live gig situation but perhaps a Bluetooth microphone as used for phone calls might work.

I turned off WiFi and speech search still works

Good idea at gigs to activate airplane mode so a notification doesn’t take over your screen mid-song.
    )BOB

Definitely. I have an ongoing problem where the Samsung tablet screen turns off if I don't use iteal for a while. Its irritating and I can't find any options to keep the screen on. My phone doesn't have this problem and neither did my previous Acer tablet so it's looks a Samsung problem

There are usually screen time-out choices in the "display" section of the devices main settings. (But it's global)
    iRp is programmed to override that setting to "always on" when viewing a chart. I found in an older version if I was parked
    In the app on a screen other than a chart, it would time out.
    There could also be a battery-saver setting that might be 'helping'.
    )BOB

Yes I think the problem is leaving ireal in the starting screen. Many android devices now just have a selection of time outs ranging from 1 minute to 15. I will leave a song displayed tonight and see what happens. Incidentally, I decided against Bluetooth microphone in favour of a standard corded hands free setup. It's working really well at home, so tonight and the weekend will be a good try out

Unfortunately, my screen times out even with a chart displaying. Also, using the handsfree corded mic was a bit of a faff because the thin wire gets tangled. I am going to tape the headphones up so that the microphone is more accessible.