Thread: A bit confused...

Default A bit confused...

Hi, I just recently purchased and began checking iRealPro out, after hearing cats rave about it for years. I began by downloading some of the songlists, like the Jazz one, and then searching for specific songs. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I haven't run across "thousands of great backing tracks". In fact, some of the tunes I've downloaded will play, and the chords and groove cause me to not even recognize the tune, ones I've known and played many times.
    Another question I have is about the styles offered. On the App Store preview page, it shows the Pop, Latin, & Jazz styles as costing nothing, and the only one you can buy are the Blues styles, which strikes me as a bit odd. Why wouldn't something as basic as Blues grooves not be standard? Although that may be why some of the tunes I've downloaded, in particular Jazz/Blues tunes sound so foreign. But is this accurate, only the Blues styles cost, and the others don't. If not, where would I find them?

Finally, a technical question. I also went out and bought a new iPad, again, after hearing everyone rave about it. And when I finally figured out how to load my tunes onto it, so I could use it on a couple gigs I had coming up, I first had to get an adapter to be able to go from USB3 to a quarter inch, to get into my mixer. Was surprised, but not really, that Apple canned the mini-stereo plug, making us buy even more adaptors.
    Well, once I ran out and got that, I assumed I was set. However, that night on my gig, when I went to play some tunes, they blasted so loudly they almost blew out my sound system!! Apparently the "Sound Control" preference, which is supposed to normalize all the music, just so no song would be blasting, or too low, isn't very reliable. This really concerned me, as that feature has worked just fine on my two ancient iPods, that I'd been using to play tracks. It also has worked fine when I was using mini-discs, yet this state-of-the-art thousand dollar iPad Pro can't get it to work properly?

I also experienced some stressful moments when my pressing the Pause button had no affect, and I sometimes had to push it several times, before it would finally stop! That sure makes it hard to subtly stop or start songs, and especially points out one more major flaw of this device. Why, especially since so many musicians are using these on gigs, can we not set it to just stop after a song is played, instead of automatically moving on the next one? It can shuffle, and it can play consecutively, but it can't just stop, really? My ancient mini-disc deck can do that, why not Apple's newest and greatest? Someone at the Apple Store suggested I tell all the musicians I know, to send them feedback, demanding that very simple feature be part of the next update.... I mean, this never occurred to them, we all have to petition them to do something so intuitive?

Well, if anyone can help me out with some answers to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenCee View Post
    Hi, I just recently purchased and began checking iRealPro out, after hearing cats rave about it for years. I began by downloading some of the songlists, like the Jazz one, and then searching for specific songs. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I haven't run across "thousands of great backing tracks". In fact, some of the tunes I've downloaded will play, and the chords and groove cause me to not even recognize the tune, ones I've known and played many times.
    Another question I have is about the styles offered. On the App Store preview page, it shows the Pop, Latin, & Jazz styles as costing nothing, and the only one you can buy are the Blues styles, which strikes me as a bit odd. Why wouldn't something as basic as Blues grooves not be standard? Although that may be why some of the tunes I've downloaded, in particular Jazz/Blues tunes sound so foreign. But is this accurate, only the Blues styles cost, and the others don't. If not, where would I find them?

Finally, a technical question. I also went out and bought a new iPad, again, after hearing everyone rave about it. And when I finally figured out how to load my tunes onto it, so I could use it on a couple gigs I had coming up, I first had to get an adapter to be able to go from USB3 to a quarter inch, to get into my mixer. Was surprised, but not really, that Apple canned the mini-stereo plug, making us buy even more adaptors.
    Well, once I ran out and got that, I assumed I was set. However, that night on my gig, when I went to play some tunes, they blasted so loudly they almost blew out my sound system!! Apparently the "Sound Control" preference, which is supposed to normalize all the music, just so no song would be blasting, or too low, isn't very reliable. This really concerned me, as that feature has worked just fine on my two ancient iPods, that I'd been using to play tracks. It also has worked fine when I was using mini-discs, yet this state-of-the-art thousand dollar iPad Pro can't get it to work properly?

I also experienced some stressful moments when my pressing the Pause button had no affect, and I sometimes had to push it several times, before it would finally stop! That sure makes it hard to subtly stop or start songs, and especially points out one more major flaw of this device. Why, especially since so many musicians are using these on gigs, can we not set it to just stop after a song is played, instead of automatically moving on the next one? It can shuffle, and it can play consecutively, but it can't just stop, really? My ancient mini-disc deck can do that, why not Apple's newest and greatest? Someone at the Apple Store suggested I tell all the musicians I know, to send them feedback, demanding that very simple feature be part of the next update.... I mean, this never occurred to them, we all have to petition them to do something so intuitive?

Well, if anyone can help me out with some answers to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it... thanks.
    I'm a bit confused by your post.

It appears you joined the forums in May, 2014 but "just recently purchased and began checking out iReal pro"?

For years, iRp has included nearly 50 player styles at no additional charge.
    (Have you priced "band in a box"?)
    Admin made the decision to offer the optional Blues styles as a separate in-app purchase because of the extensive time and effort involved in their development.

Blues styles samples
    https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...o+blues+styles

In-app purchases
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...android/?p=ios

So, for less than half the price of a single fakebook, you get the app, access to thousands of [TRANSPOSABLE] chord charts AND a built in player feature.

The player was originally developed as practice feature. That some use it in performance, speaks to the excellent work of the developer.

From 2013:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...t-When-Playing

The player styles are all user-selectable. Experiment trying different styles and tempos on your charts. Some charts are posted with the default style attached (Med. Swing/100). The chart's author may have been writing a "reader" chart, and gave no thought to selecting a style, tempo and instruments.

The issues you describe with your new iPad have nothing to do with iReal pro. Perhaps Apple support could address them.
    I purchased an aftermarket Bluetooth receiver which I use to (wirelessly) send iRp audio to my amp.

I don’t understand how your "won’t stop" complaint applies to iReal pro. Continuous, shuffle or sequential play is not (yet) available for iReal pro. All iRp charts play the specified number of player-repeats and then STOP.

Perhaps an AirTurn foot pedal would better provide the positive control you want.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...9679#post49679

)BOB