Thread: I Have you - Colleen Kitchen

Question I Have you - Colleen Kitchen

My piece has an A, B, and C section. A is the refrain, B is the verse and C is the bridge. I want the form to be ABABCABA and at the very last A I need a 1 bar coda that resolves it, because normally the refrain leads to the next verse. So I put a repeat on |:AB:| then at the end of C I did DC al coda, and the "to coda" at the end of A. Obviously that only goes back and does A and ends. Is there some slick elegant way I could set up this form the way I want it without repeating any code? It's just that some songs are long and if you repeat code you blow the length limit. On this particular song I can repeat if I need to, but I'd rather not need to. i.e. I would like a general solution that works for longer pieces. Thanks for reading, and double thanks if you know the answer! and Happy Independence day to everyone in the USA!

Hi Colleen
    Please post your chart here so it can be opened in the iRp editor
    )BOB

Ok I don’t know or don’t remember how to do that on my phone. I don’t see an option to upload file

I’ll just make the coda be the extra refrain and move To Coda to the end of B. it only repeats code for the refrain. But I still want to know how to post charts b/c I’m on a tear making a bunch of new charts

I Have you - Colleen Kitchen

ABABC ABA is a complex arrangement (form). Your charting choice is correct, efficient and a good one.
    It's straightforward and easy for the reader to follow.

If/when you have a youtube or audio file for this tune please share it here.

Thanks for sharing your chart, it will be helpful to others
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    ABABC ABA is a complex arrangement (form). Your charting choice is correct, efficient and a good one.
    It's straightforward and easy for the reader to follow.

If/when you have a youtube or audio file for this tune please share it here.

Thanks for sharing your chart, it will be helpful to others
    )BOB
    Thanks Bob! Hey I presume you're vaxxed so I'd love to jam this chart and/or others with you and/or others in person in PDX. This is an original chart, so I guess the organizing principle is if you have room for the repeat and the standard repeat tools in IReal don't support it, go ahead and copy it. I'm trying to make charts that actually follow the form I want for the people that subscribe to my originals. Dunno if I'll be releasing a fully produced version of "I have You" any time soon, or not. It's kinda dark, when you know the story behind the song. Course a lot o' my originals are dark. Cuz it's just kinda dark to be me.

Peace,
    Colleen

It would be fun to jam with you again.

Sometimes you have to choose between a full but crowded chart that's easy to follow and plays straight top to bottom or save some "ink" with a tricky chart that can be confusing at first sight.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...6579#post66579

Sometimes to get the player to do what you want, some special tactics are needed.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...6427#post66427

Often you can get an AABA tune to play correctly with just A1,2,B, DC al 2nd fine...(until you can’t)...
    )BOB