Hi there, first post. I registered here to talk about my chord symbol preferences but at this point I’m thinking that the best solution would be to have users be able to control their own library of “valid” chord symbols. I don’t know much about the technical aspects so I’m not sure if this is feasible. I have my reasons for writing chords the way I do, and probably everyone feels the same way.
Well anyhow, I’d like to be able to use the augmented symbol “+” for augmented chords. E.G., A7+5 or C^+5. I get that the sharp symbol is there for this, but I guess I prefer the “+” because it means “augmented” and I’m trying to notate augmented chords.
It would be nice to be able to add “#11” or “+5” directly after the triangle for extensions on major 7th chords. It seems like you have to specify “7” first, but that seems redundant as the triangle already stands for “maj7”, and anyway if you are making chord charts for jazz musicians to interpret, the baseline assumption for ALL chords is that they are 7th chords, at least. I never actually write “7” unless I am specifying a dominant chord. On my charts I aim to communicate clearly, quickly, with the least ink possible, to the worst reader on the gig. I only specify extensions in cases when the melody requires it. I would prefer a library of voicings which supports that economy better.
But again, maybe letting everyone follow their own preferences would be the best.