Thread: D- (add9)

Default D- (add9)

I came across a chord in the Beatles "Fool on The Hill" that was listed by a Hal Leonard arranger as "Dm(addE)".

So, I tried to use the "D" "-" and "add9" in the iReal editor, but found that I could not use the "-" (from the "Abbreviated:" row on the "Chords" page/tab) and "add9" (also from the "Abbreviated:" row) simultaneously.

Does that make sense? In other words I can't seem to construct "D-(add9)".

Thanks!

You are right, the -add9 chord is not included in the list.
    I'll add it in the future but for now you can use custom chord qualities and type it in manually. (You need at least iReal Book 2.4 or iReal Book Editor for Mac 0.4.3)

How? I tried typing, for example, "D-add9" into that text field towards the top of the editor, but it reduces the font size of "-add9", which makes that "-" symbol hard to read. e.g.,

D-(Add9) Issue by Unknown Composer

just as a workaround for now, you could press OPTION-hyphen (in other words press the option key down when you are pressing the normal minor-hyphen key). This makes a longer hyphen which might help in clarity.
    EDIT: this is using Mac Editor

Will do. Thank you.

I should have said... as iReal Book develops, that slightly longer hyphen (called an "en dash") might not work...(Apple might change things, or Massimo might need to use that key combination for something specifically, or whatever—who knows?) so use it if you need to but do remember it is just a workaround for the moment.