Thread: Change chart key from Major to Minor?

Default Change chart key from Major to Minor?

H there...all of a sudden, it seems my tranposition choices are more limited. No minor keys and I cant scroll to change the key in tunes. Can someone advise what is up??

Thank you!!

A recent announcement may shed light
    https://mailchi.mp/irealpro/spring-2...atHOPHAxyY7Ohw

That’s all I know so far as I haven’t updated yet.

The latest Android update makes the user interface more like the iOS interface.
    I suspect all the features are still there but their placement and controls may have been altered.

)BOB

Quote Originally Posted by redwarbler View Post
    H there...all of a sudden, it seems my tranposition choices are more limited. No minor keys and I cant scroll to change the key in tunes. Can someone advise what is up??
    Did you find all the keys you require?
    If the song is set in a minor key, your transposition choices in the player controls at the bottom will all be minor keys. (If set in a Major key, all keys will be Major).
    You will see the choice of major or minor in the song editor, INFO (tap either Major or Minor to the right of the key to change to the other).

Default transpose from major to minor?

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Did you find all the keys you require?
    If the song is set in a minor key, your transposition choices in the player controls at the bottom will all be minor keys. (If set in a Major key, all keys will be Major).
    You will see the choice of major or minor in the song editor, INFO (tap either Major or Minor to the right of the key to change to the other).
    This does not work for me. I am using iRp 2023.3 Android. This and other posts online all refer to a button or tab "INFO" or "i" - it does not _exist_ on my android version of iRp! afai can see, so I cannot tap or use it.
    To be clear, I want to globally transpose the key of the whole song, in this case from a major key to Dm. Surely this must be possible?! I do *not* want to have to edit every chord symbol individually. (I also am not transposing for Bb or Eb etc instrument, just on piano.) I can see how to transpose major-to-major and minor-to-minor, but not major-to-minor or v.v.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by plplado View Post
    This does not work for me. I am using iRp 2023.3 Android. This and other posts online all refer to a button or tab "INFO" or "i" - it does not _exist_ on my android version of iRp! afai can see, so I cannot tap or use it.
    To be clear, I want to globally transpose the key of the whole song, in this case from a major key to Dm. Surely this must be possible?! I do *not* want to have to edit every chord symbol individually. (I also am not transposing for Bb or Eb etc instrument, just on piano.) I can see how to transpose major-to-major and minor-to-minor, but not major-to-minor or v.v.
    Thanks.
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...tor/?p=android

<see image attached for location of the “i” button>

Select “Set”, not “Set and transpose”.

On sheet music, the key signature is reflected by the number of #’s or b’s at the start of the staff. Major keys and their relative minor key display the same key-sig info. C & A-, F & D- etc.
    In iReal pro we can label that distinction.

“Set” will change/reset the “default” key label of the chart.

Example: If you have a chart that the author labeled as being in C though you and I might consider it to be in A- and you want to transpose it to D- and iRp only gives you major key choices. If you transpose to F (the relative major for D-) you’ll get what you want. Or you can reset/change/relabel the chart’s current default key from C to A-. Then you’ll have your choice of minor keys for transposition.

Changing the default key from major to minor will not change/alter any chords in the chart from the way that they were initially entered and saved.
    If a chord was entered and saved as a D, the only way to change it to a D- is to edit that chord individually.

If you wish to write a “minor version” of a song that is usually played with major chords, I suggest you edit a DUPLICATE of the original chart, edit the title (Mary Had A Little Lamb - minor) and then edit each chord as desired.

)BOB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404B8F9A-9E2E-4892-AF23-2E5AB299F72A.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	609  

Thanks Bob. I can follow the first option (C/Am -> F/Dm), which is a good enough hack I guess, but not the second as there is no such button as "Set" in my app, just (at the bottom ) Mixer, Practice, Chord scales and Play/Stop and (at the top) Help, display (Font etc), edit, and export buttons. No Set, and no option to change from major to minorg. So you must have a different/older version. I cannot see any way to "change/reset the “default” key label of the chart". I wish I could. If I really am missing something, help is welcomed. Cheers.

Thanks Bob. I can follow the first option (C/Am -> F/Dm), which is a good enough hack I guess, but not the second as there is no such button as "Set" in my app, just (at the bottom ) Mixer, Practice, Chord scales and Play/Stop and (at the top) Help, display (Font etc), edit, and export buttons. No Set, and no option to change from major to minorg. So you must have a different/older version. I cannot see any way to "change/reset the “default” key label of the chart". I wish I could. If I really am missing something, help is welcomed. Cheers.
    If I really am missing something, help is welcomed.
    You are missing this. To edit/change the default key on a chart you need to be in the editor.

You’ll find the “SET” button on a sub-menu within the song editor.

So, first, open your chart in the editor
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/hc/en...405/?p=android

Select the key setting on the info screen (i)
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...3541#post73541

Then on the sub-menu there you can change and set the new key.
    See attached screenshot.
    Then….SAVE.

)BOB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E8B2E7B-69F3-44CA-AA74-A7AC62B26096.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	610