Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chord request: Diminished Major 7th

Default Chord request: Diminished Major 7th

As many tunes uses this type of chord, it would be nice to have it in IRP.
    It's basically a diminished chord with a major 7th instead of diminished 7th (1, b3, b5, 7), so for a C dimished, that would be C, Eb, Gb, B.
    It can also be noted as a B7b9/C but without the 7th (A).
    Some popular standard using this type of chord: Corcovado, How insensitive (Jobim), My favorite things (Coltrane version), to name a few.

Yeah, good idea! Even in pop songs you see this chord being used.

Yes, it should be usefull to have diminished chords with altered tensions. For example also a dim chord with b13 (e.g.: Cdim(b13)).

Sure, but Cdim(b13) could easily be written as Ab7/C in IRP.

Well, Ab7/C is something like Ab, C, Eb, Gb with C on bass.
    Cdim(b13) is C, Eb Gb, Ab Bbb(A). It is not the same.
    Maybe you could put Ab7/A (A, Ab, C, Eb, Gb) but it is not the same as the bass is different and the pitches will sound against a A and not a C.

Oh I see, you meant C dim7(b13), not just C dim(b13). Yes, of course, that's different then.
    How about an Ab7(b9)/C ?
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 06-09-2016 at 03:01 AM.

OK, pitches are the same. However, I think the if you force a bass note, IRP will not walk the bass anymore and you get the same pitch on bass till next chord.
    Viceversa, you should have bass walking over a diminished scale (hopefully). Moreover Ab7(b9) is an altered chord. Again I do not know how IRP will use this information for piano comping and bass walking. For sure, it is not the same as for a diminished chord.

Yes of course, it's not the same. But I think this would be the closest you can get in IRP at this time.
    Also to consider, is that when using slash chords with chords of 4 or more notes, IRP skips some of the top notes for polyphony reason I think, like having a CMaj7/G, IRP player would only play C/G (skipping the Maj7).

Yes. That's why I'm crossing my fingers to have altered diminished chords.
    To go back to your reply about how IRP works against chords with bass note, I already notice what you have written.
    maybe, it cout be useful to have chord made up f to triads, one over the other: D/C. That is: C-E-G at the bottom, D-F#-A at top. You could easily build up altered chords and whatever you want. But this is a different request.

Yes, stacking up triads would be a good idea!