Thread: Chord request; just 3 and 7 and Great Update

Default Chord request; just 3 and 7 and Great Update

First I have to congratulate the whole team on the stellar new update. It’s just looks beautiful and the new layout is fantastic .
    I just now discovered as I added a new playlist that it was put at top of all the lists. I probably have 50+ playlists and it is always been a huge pain to try to drag the list up to the top. That’s the kind of little attention to detail that is so greatly appreciated. Again many many thanks to all the iReal pro crew.

So to my request…
    I think this is extremely important. Chord extensions to lots of people are simply instructions for scale choices. Not really meant to be played in the chord.
    IMO usually they sound terrible. For example I did a chart on “All Of Me” and added all the proper extensions for the song. If you know the song many of the melody notes are often flat 9 and flat 13 but if you put those extensions in it sounds just awful.
    It would also give the soloist a lot more freedom to choose the scales she/he wants to use.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Yup, the busier the accompaniment, the less "space" there is for improvised solos.
    We're always looking for the "sweet spot" in the balance between vanilla and outside.
    )BOB

It all depends on the melody. If the melody contains mostly upper chord tones (extensions), then basic chords (without extensions) sound usually better. On the contrary, if the melody contains mostly lower chord tones, then adding extensions in the chords will uplift the melody

This is not a subjective request.

Just for the sake of good ear training for students this should be one of the play along options.

To properly understand the song structure you need to hear the guide tones.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Bass ,3 and 7
    The meat and potatoes of harmony. The rest is just spice.
    If there’s a flat nine or any alteration in the melody. The harmony instrument doesn’t have to play that note. R37 is all that’s needed
    IMO less is more .. don’t spoil the soup .

This is what I am talking about
    https://youtu.be/0jY3zoDpZfs
    No fifths no roots bass in a separate channel

Nice work Bob, I enjoyed other videos as well
    )BOB

Q thanks Bob
    I hope the development people will consider this for the next update.

Nice idea. This would be a great teaching and learning tool

A good melody only need the bass actually. 3rd and 7th are usually implied by the overall song harmonic structure. There are many songs where I can just sing while playing the bass only and you still can hear the chords even they are not actually played. However, melodies that use mostly basic chord tones may sound better with some chord extensions and alterations when needed