Thread: Uncle John's Band - Jerry Garcia

Default Uncle John's Band - Jerry Garcia

Uncle John's Band - Jerry Garcia
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-02-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Copied from elsewhere

Default Uncle Johns Band, version edited

New user of iReal Pro here.

Thought I'd try out something here, took a version of Uncle Johns Band, did some edits on it.

Initially, the version as downloaded would not play due to an error about an empty measure and a misplaced repeat sign that couldn't be properly parsed by the player. Found that the error was caused by the use of a SINGLE REPEAT BAR LINE when it should have been a DOUBLE REPEAT BAR LINE. Fixed it an dit plays now. Felt pretty good about life, figuring this out without having to ask for help!

Decided to tweak out the version with some edits so that the song would play similar to the original recorded version. Even though I do not really know a lot about codas and DS and DC and segnos, I figured I could learn.

So, I got so that the arrangement works pretty well in the player, but not perfect.

Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

I want the song to play like this

Intro
    V1 and V2 (A part 2X)
    Chorus (B part 1x)
    V3 & V4 (A part 2X)
    Chorus 1X
    Bridge and Outro

The song as presented here plays as such
    Intro
    V1 and V2 (part A 2X)
    Chorus (B part 1X)
    Bridge and Outro

The DS al capo and the segno aren't working

I've read the forum entries and the help files on how to get DS and DC and codas to work but I don't seem to be able to get them to work properly.

I'd really like to understand how these work, cause I think this would be a great tool for arranging chord charts for my band.

I also really like the idea that many songs, at least in a rudimentary form structure, are already done.

If this isn't the best place to make such a request, please advise.

Thanks in advance

db

Uncle John's Band db with coda (not working) - Jerry Garcia

Good catch on the single-bar-repeat used incorrectly. As you discovered, the fix was to replace it with a double-bar repeat.

Does this chart play as you'd like?

Uncle John's Band 1 - Jerry Garcia

After the IN, the A and B sections (as written) will cycle twice (as set in the player repeat setting) then end with C.

I condensed the intro to give me enough room to add a single down-arrow space at A to make the chart easier to follow.

Using DS al coda in a chart makes the coda part of the repeating form.
    More:
    https://irealpro.com/how-the-coda-sy...-in-ireal-pro/

As you see, I started the song discussion thread for this tune and moved your post here.

Thanks for your helpful description and for sharing your chart.
    )BOB

Thanks for the tweaks.
    The chart you provided is quite close to the original arrangement now (and definitely plays as I described it). There are some details (especially in the ending) that aren't spot-on. I may take another stab at making that piece work, w/ codas and segnos and such. It may be the case that the arrangement may not fit exactly within the parameters of iReal.

I'm liking the process of putting an arrangement in iReal. There are so many pieces of the puzzle in music practice that all seem to be not that important, until you start working on them. Arranging a piece for a band is one of those components that didn't realize wasn't that easy. Regardless, its a good exercise.

Thanks for your help with this.