Thread: Transposition?

Default Transposition?

How could we just transpose the chord..and not the instrumentation?
    Cause I know we can do that on iPod..
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmp View Post
    How could we just transpose the chord..and not the instrumentation?
    Cause I know we can do that on iPod..
    I am not sure what you mean but this might help.
    iPod in Settings is instrumental transpose, in Mac, Prefs>General>Transposing instrument (transposes the chords for that instrument, player key remains in Concert key.)
    iPod in Song view top right is song transpose (transposes the Player key on playback), in Mac it is bottom right.
    For individual chords in a song, Song edit in Mac is ... Select a song to edit, bottom left, Pencil tool... Edit song (or copy of song.)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    I am not sure what you mean but this might help.
    iPod in Settings is instrumental transpose, in Mac, Prefs>General>Transposing instrument (transposes the chords for that instrument, player key remains in Concert key.)
    iPod in Song view top right is song transpose (transposes the Player key on playback), in Mac it is bottom right.
    For individual chords in a song, Song edit in Mac is ... Select a song to edit, bottom left, Pencil tool... Edit song (or copy of song.)
    I am sorry but I don't understand the answer.

I would like to do the following:
    I am playing Tenor Sax (in Bb). I have a part written for my instrument.
    How do I make the program play in tune with me given that I just copied the chords I have in the program ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigayar View Post
    I am playing Tenor Sax (in Bb). I have a part written for my instrument.
    How do I make the program play in tune with me given that I just copied the chords I have in the program ?
    The backing using the Player needs to be in Concert key. So in Song edit, Transpose the song to the correct concert key (if you have already input it transposed for your key, it will need to be lowered a whole step or 2 semitones.) You will see a check box (or similar) to Transpose the chords when selecting the new key, which is what you need to do. Save. Make sure Settings>Transpose is set for your instrument (Bb). Returning to the song, it should still be as you input it, but playing it will be in concert key.

Summary:
    Making a new song, choose the key it is in, input chords, if they are from your transposing instrument chart, after you finish ... Transpose (Chords) back to concert key then Save (the default key needs to be in concert key.) Settings>Transpose, make sure it is set to your instrument. In song view you should see the chords in the key you input, but now the default song key for the player is concert.

Further:
    in Song view>Transpose, this transposes the default concert key to another, but the shown chords will then take into account your transposing instrument's key so will show in your key. Again, the player will play in the new concert key.

Potential complication:
    if you input a transposed instrument chart (say in F) but have forgotten to set the key it is in (when you start a new song, it is probably set to C) everything can get confused. Simply Edit the song, change the key to the correct key the chords are in, but do not check the chords to transpose, then tap to Transpose (button). Nothing will appear to have changed in the chart, but the key it is now set to will correspond to the chords in Song edit you input. Then do the above ... Transpose to its concert key All chords (must be checked.) This time you will see the chords in the chart change.
    A song in song edit must be in concert key for the Player.