Thread: Chord request: Cmin7#5 / C-7#5

Default Chord request: Cmin7#5 / C-7#5

In Your Own tweet Way Hal Leonard RB5 p212 bar 7 has a C-7#5 .
    I'm not able to find this or C-7b13
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

This chart seems a mess..assuming this is the Brubeck transcription ? I suppose the other one should be labeled the Miles version.

In Your Own Sweet Way RB5 - Dave Brubeck
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    Do you mean for the chord to contain both the G and Ab as in C-7b13
    Or to raise the G to a G# as in C-7#5 ?

In the latter case you could try Ebsus/C
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Do you mean for the chord to contain both the G and Ab as in C-7b13
    Or to raise the G to a G# as in C-7#5 ?

In the latter case you could try Ebsus/C
    )BOB
    no the the chord is a C-7#5 . I was just thinking the b13 might be close enough but it didn't work.The melody note is an Ab half note going to a Gb half note (F13b9)
    so I assume the voicing would be fourths Bb. Eb. Ab . going to (Eb)A D F#

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    I have 3 different charts of this tune. There is no C-7+5. It is either C-7(b5), B13/D# or F7(+9), depending on whose chart you're looking at. The Hal Leonard might be a misprint.
    Last edited by raymb1; 09-11-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    I have 3 different charts of this tune. There is no C-7+5. It is either C-7(b5), B13/D# or F7(+9), depending on whose chart you're looking at. The Hal Leonard might be a misprint.
    You would think Hal Leonard would check these things.? I don’t think something as odd as this would be a missprint.
    Usually these HL real books try to leave room for some creative interpretation. The use of all the 13th chords with specific alterations is unusual , unlike the Chuck Sher books. I think it must be a transcription from one of Brobecks versions.
    I just checked Jamie Aebersold volume 105. Which has Brubeck on piano so it should be canon.
    Brubeck has an F7#9 and a B7 in the seventh bar . The same bar in the last Asection has an F7#9#5 B7 / Bb7sus. / Eb-7 / Eb-7. /. So two bars of the Eb-7 added to the end. Last A = 10bars

This is from the Jamie Aebersold volume 105 book. Bruebeck is actually playing the piano on the tracks so I assume the charts are canon. I double checked the changes with the 1956 album live at Newport.
    In Your Own Sweet Way *Brubeck Version * - Dave Brubeck

There are many different versions of that tune. Brubeck usually plays a F7#9#5 at the 7th bar, but other artists might play some other chords (Miles, etc.). The book should specify if it's from a version other than the composer's. C-7#5 at that bar is unlikely but in iReal Pro, it could be written as a AbM9/C. There are many other important chord types missing in the chord library that can't be reproduced by combination of slash chords. I would suggest to add those first in priority