Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steely Dan songs

OK, once again, my lack of music schooling is apparent. I have all the chords, but I suck at using the codas, etc. Would anybody care to correct the form of this for me, please?

Don't Take Me Alive - Becker, Fagen

Compare this edited chart to yours:

Don't Take Me Alive 1 - Becker, Fagen

All your chords are there. I'm a bit confused by the 9th bar at the end of the C Section.

Whenever possible, I prefer to use a template that has either 4, 4-space measures in a line (system) or 8, 2-space measures in each line. Sometimes to save space, I'll mix them, but for the musician trying to follow the chart on the fly, it's best to keep charts as "square" as possible. I also like to line-up the 1st and 2nd endings directly under each other by inserting blank space.
    The player-feature can follow an "ugly" chart and sometimes because of limited space on the single page, you have to compromise.

Read this for more about chart set-up:
    Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301

You'll also find this helpful:
    Glossary
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282

Here is a description of using a Coda:

Place a coda mark (cross-hairs) on the last beat of the measure just BEFORE you want your ending to start. Place another coda mark on the first beat of your ending measure(s) (at the bottom of the chart) The final time through the form, the player-feature will jump from the first coda mark to the last one, play the ending (coda) and then quit.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks! I'll check it out. It's not so much the coda that's confusing as it is getting the "1" and "2" portions so that it ends differently each time. But I'll read those things. I appreciate your help. I just have good ears for chords. The charting part needs some work!

Default Using 1st and 2nd endings

The repeated section starts with a start-repeat bar sign [: and continues through the 1st ending to the end-repeat bar sign :]which sends it back to the start-repeat to play again. When you get to the 1st ending the second time, you jump to the 2nd ending instead. The section is closed with a double-bar.||

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-11-2017 at 03:09 PM.

So, I was watching this video of Fagen sitting down, explaining exactly what he's playing on Peg, so I took the liberty of making a couple chordal adjustments to Diatonic's excellent chart. I hope he doesn't mind, and anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ... but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I even stop framed, and looked at what notes he was playing from the overhead view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_2r9zbaIY

Peg v1-1 - Walter Becker Donald Fagen
    Last edited by FW190D6; 12-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.

I don't mind at all. Sometimes it takes a team approach. (May I dare say "It takes a village" for some of these harder tunes)

Agreed! I usually make my best charts in collaboration, when it comes to the more harmonically complicated stuff.

Well I've just written this one ( Pretzel Logic - my first effort) but can't see how to attach it to this post ?

Think I might have it cracked now...

Pretzel Logic - Becker-Fagan
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.

I'd like to see a chord transcription of Glamour Profession if anyone has one, thanks!

Default Steely Dan songs

Steely Dan (6)

1. FM No Static At All - Steely Dan
    2. Hey Nineteen RS - Steely Dan
    3. Do It Again - Steely Dan
    4. Peg - Steely Dan
    5. Minute By Minute RS - Michael McDonald
    6. What A Fool Believes RS - Michael McDonald
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-13-2015 at 06:11 PM.