Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equinox - John Coltrane

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    Actually in order to emulate a C#m13, it should be notated as a EMaj9#11/C#. The EMaj9/C# don't have the 13th.
    If you don't need the 11th in the chord, then it could be notated EMaj7#11/C#.
    However, it would be better if the m13 chord type be added in the library. It's a pretty common chord used in jazz music!
    Good catch, Cyrille; thanks very much. I just edited that modification you suggested in, and it does sound closer to the recording.

Have you taken the survey for what new features you would like to see the irp programmers work on? It's on a sticky thread somewhere around here, and I'm sure you have lots of ingenious ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    Have you taken the survey for what new features you would like to see the irp programmers work on? It's on a sticky thread somewhere around here, and I'm sure you have lots of ingenious ideas.
    Yes, I did fill out that survey times before

Warning: The following chart is not meant for reading purposes. It is designed mainly for IRP to play as close as possible to the original recording. It's basically a minor blues
    Equinox - John Coltrane
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 07-17-2023 at 10:44 AM.

Great chart CyrilleB!!!
    You deserve a Gold Star. It's amazing how far you can stretch what was initially designed to be a practice tool.
    Your chart is most instructive on rhythmically innovating with the player.
    Excellent.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-14-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    Warning: The following chart is not meant for reading purposes. It is designed mainly for IRP to play as close as possible to the original recording. It's basically a minor blues
    Equinox - John Coltrane
    Wow the way you utilized two bars of 3/4 and a bar of 2/4 was very effective. Nice job, and very tidy looking as well.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!
    It could even sound better if the power chords (1, 5) could be played one octave or two lower.
    I've already suggested a while ago to the IRP support team if they could lower the octave for power chords. Those chords are usually played in lower range, not high range. I hope they will fix this some days.
    Having kicks and pushes implemented would also be a great add instead of having to always compromise between an easy to read chart and a good play-along

Even better than previous versions. Nice chart CyrilleB!

Great charts I’ve found really useful as I’ve just been learning this on piano. Does anyone know how to make the intro Latin and the rest swing?

Quote Originally Posted by Robhatherton View Post
    Great charts I’ve found really useful as I’ve just been learning this on piano. Does anyone know how to make the intro Latin and the rest swing?
    Generally, only a single style can be used for a chart...
    The Latin/Swing jazz style will play the A section using Latin and the B section in swing only during the first and final player repeats. Additional song repeats will be swing.

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...ithin-the-song

By relabeling song sections using rehearsal marks and using only 1 player repeat you may be able to exercise more control over the way a chart plays.

In this example additional (solo section) repeats are designated on the chart (8x) instead of by using the song repeat setting in the player.

Equinox - latin-swing - John Coltrane

)BOB

Thanks Bob, that’s really helpful. I’ve even re labelled the head out as B then it doesn’t play in Latin! I’m a bit puzzled about all the different timings. Is that just to get the bass line in or because it’s closer to the original recording than 4/4?