Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Equinox - John Coltrane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Equinox - John Coltrane

The existing chart leaves much to be desired as it only contains the solo section, and the chords are dull. Plus it is not even in the right style. No intro, A section or coda. It's a joke.

That being said, this song presented some tough challenges to even get in the ballpark. The intro is a N.C. deal, and unfortunately, irp will not let you use the root bass notes by themselves; maybe in a future version, the programmers can add a slash to N.C. so we can do simple bass ostinato stuff.

Next, both intro and A section are syncopated, and in 4/4, you can't accent upbeats. As a work around, I notated all the syncopated parts as 3/8 to 5/8 time signatures; it's not perfect, but at least it sounds somewhat like Coltrane intended.

The second (comparatively minor) problem was Sher notated the I chord C#m as being C#m13 which irp doesn't recognize. I noticed from playing this chord on my guitar that it was actually an E major 9 with C# in the bass, so I went with that.

Last problem which I could not totally solve was with the coda. This song has a D.S al coda, and if you only ask the player to do one run through, it will go to the coda immediately and skip the solo (B) section. I had to set the repeat control at 2 to get it to continue from the A section to the B section. This is not, unfortunately, how the original recording goes, so if someone could fix that problem, we can close the book on Equinox.

Equinox - SM - John Coltrane

(Sorry I forgot the tags; you can't edit those in apparently.)
    Last edited by GregH3000; 07-28-2019 at 12:38 AM.

My post just disappeared. Oh well, here we go again.

With all due respect, the link your provided isn't really telling me what I'm doing wrong here. I did what it is telling me to do as in the 500 miles example, and I quote:
    "One way is to use the Coda as what is sometimes referred to as outro or tag.
    As seen in 500 Miles High, the Coda will be played only once at the very end. [that's what I want]
    If for example, you set the player to repeat 5 times, the main part of the song will repeat 5 times and finally jump to the Coda during the very last repeat {that's NOT what I want]

This appears to me to be a bug. It will not play all the way through if you only want one play; it will recognize the coda sign before the song is done. Also, it didn't stop at the end bar, and went up to play the A section again, and ended there.
    The forums indicated that you (accidentally?) deleted your missing post. I was able to restore it.

Using "DS or DC al coda" includes the coda in the form every time the player repeats.
    Simply using just the coda-symbol(s) appends the coda to the form only the final player repeat. If the player is set to 1x, the first play is, in fact, the final repeat...

The IN (or V) section only plays once at the start unless instructed otherwise by a DC.
    Using the Segno is unnecessary immediately following the Intro. Player repeats automatically start at the first letter-mark after the Intro.

To avoid confusion, it's best to describe your desired road-map (arrangement) for the song's form using rehearsal marks and ending numbers.
    eg. In,A1,A2,B,C. Coda or AA BB CA etc.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-28-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Very nice chart Greg. Like the work around for the sycopation.

Two more threads disappeared. I try to reply, and when I click on "reason for editing," poof, it's gone. What's up with that?

Bob, I couldn't find what you were talking about in the coda, but I did find that the C#m bar right before the 1st ending had only four spaces instead of five, so I fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    Bob, I couldn't find what you were talking about in the coda, but I did find that the C#m bar right before the 1st ending had only four spaces instead of five, so I fixed that.

See if this example helps
    Ending Volta Bracket Placement - Example

Don't worry about changing the number of spaces in each measure as you change time signatures. It's not neccessary and usually doesn't matter.
    )BOB

So you're basically asserting that it is somehow incorrect if the volta bracket is parallel with a bar line below it? What is the thinking behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    So you're basically asserting that it is somehow incorrect if the volta bracket is parallel with a bar line below it? What is the thinking behind this?
    Ending indicators are correctly entered in the first space of the first bar of the ending. Placing them anywhere else is unusual.
    Can you see the difference in the example chart I posted for you?

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-28-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Is this what you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    Very nice chart Greg. Like the work around for the sycopation.
    Thanks for the encouraging words. You might want to download the revised version; I had to repair a couple of errors I missed.