Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equinox - John Coltrane

Is this what you're looking for?

Equinox - SM - John Coltrane

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    Is this what you're looking for?

Equinox - SM - John Coltrane

Nice chart.

I made a few additional cosmetic changes.

Equinox - SM 5 - John Coltrane

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-29-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks, Bob; very pretty. I've trashed mine and renamed yours to make it the master copy.

Equinox - Sher Music - John Coltrane

Gettin up to speed writing iRp charts that work in the player, AND are easy to read, AND look nice, AND squeeze onto a single page can be a challenge.

It's a process that takes time but gets easier.

Our goal for forum discussion is not just to arrive at (and only post) a "correct" chart, but rather to show the process and help current and future users get better at it.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-29-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Any chance of this version replacing the one on the jazz list? There has to be some kind of precedence for this process; so many of those charts are pretty low budget.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH3000 View Post
    in the main Jazz playlist thread.
    Niki, I've been re-doing many of the standards with the changes that were published in the Sher Music Standards volumes. Would it be appropriate for me to post them here, or should I just make a separate thread for each as I did recently with "Equinox"?
    Greg, if you had read Niki's post that was immediately preceding yours you would have found your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    If you've made a properly formatted chart of an important Jazz standard that you think should be added to this list, feel free to post it here:

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-Jazz-Playlist ........
    So, in addition to sharing your charts in the song discussion threads on the forums, per the posting guidelines:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-and-playlists
    you can post your suggested charts for consideration to add to the main Jazz playlist (one chart at a time please) in the specific thread for that purpose (link in Niki's quote above). Also include your explaination of why you think your chart should be used.

The forums have been here for more than a decade. You can likely find existing discussion, questions and answers on most topics if you look.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-30-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Greg,

Very clever alternating 3/8 and 5/8 time to get the syncopation between beats 2 and 3 in 4/4 time!

Thanks much for the tip. I'll use it.

(P.S. Correct visual placement of the chords is not always that important, as the built-in rhythm usually puts them in the right place. But if you want the visual to be accurate, the second chord in each 5/8 bar should be on the fourth beat, not the third. The clave on the Latin 8/8 is on 1 - 4 - 7. )

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 07-30-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

I've been asking to fix the coda problem for years. If more people are reporting this issue, maybe the developers will do something about it sooner.
    Currently, it's impossible to use both a D.S. (or D.C. al 2nd ending) AND a coda in the same song. The player will always jump to the coda BEFORE even play the D.S. al 2nd ending. That's very frustrating and limiting!
    About posts that disappear while editing an existing one, I also have the same issue. I've reported this issue few years ago but nothing has been done to fix it so far

Actually in order to emulate a C#m13, it should be notated as a EMaj9#11/C#. The EMaj9/C# don't have the 13th.
    If you don't need the 11th in the chord, then it could be notated EMaj7#11/C#.
    However, it would be better if the m13 chord type be added in the library. It's a pretty common chord used in jazz music!

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    I've been asking to fix the coda problem for years. If more people are reporting this issue, maybe the developers will do something about it sooner.
    Currently, it's impossible to use both a D.S. (or D.C. al 2nd ending) AND a coda in the same song. The player will always jump to the coda BEFORE even play the D.S. al 2nd ending. That's very frustrating and limiting!
    About posts that disappear while editing an existing one, I also have the same issue. I've reported this issue few years ago but nothing has been done to fix it so far
    Thanks for validating my frustration. This is the one aspect of irp's programming that I keep bumping up against and it drives me crazy.