Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Mood - Joe Zawinul

Default Midnight Mood - Joe Zawinul

From Alone / Bill Evans album.

The song has a beautiful, straight and friendly melody. Bill plays the melodies repeatedly in three different keys, Db, D, and F. The solos are played in key F.

Midnight Mood (Evans) - Joe Zawinul
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-21-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Thread title format

Shin1ro,

Nice chart.

Are you familiar with Albert de la Fuente's transcription? It differs a bit from yours.

https://albertdelaf.files.wordpress....a-completa.pdf

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Jer,
    Thanks for the info.

No, I didn’t know the transcription.
    I don’t know which part you’re saying but
    I’m happy to correct my chart if there’s any mistakes, or to make it better.

Since this is a solo performance, it sometimes hard to identify the chord symbol. One chord voicing can have plural chord names. As for this chart, you may think pedal tones may be overly extended. But for me, I felt Bill might feel this way...

I sometimes modify my chord symbols to adopt the current iReal player’s voicings as nicer accompaniment.
    And usually I try to avoid simple triad to make the comp jazzier.

Best,
    shin1ro
    Last edited by shin1ro; 02-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Jer is right. The solo arrangement you refer, (Alone),to is the same as Albert's transcription. Here's some more of his transcriptions: https://albertdelaf.wordpress.com/transcriptions/
    Last edited by raymb1; 02-22-2019 at 12:25 PM.

shin1ro,

You did a great job. I just thought you might be interested in seeing another take on the same performance.

I do the same as you in trying to adapt to iReal Pro. I like very much that you try to make the comp as interesting as possible.

I only use iReal pro for its bass and drums, as I'm a pianist.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

I know transcription is (should be) the same as the original Alone track.
    But still,
    I’m interested in knowing where are the major differences you felt (not ‘hear’) because the transcription doesn’t tell any chord symbols. I want to try to make it closer to the Bill’s.
    Assigning adequate chord symbols is sometimes a little harder task than transcription...

Your chords are basically correct. You need to look at Albert's transcription to see the voicings. You know a certain chord, but not know how Bill would voice it.

shin1ro,

Obviously, given the length of your transcription, there isn't room on one page of iReal Pro to notate every chord. You did an excellent job of distilling it down to the size available.

Just for the record, here's my analysis of the first 24 bars of Albert's transcription.

Bill's pedal on the first five bars is not Ab, but Db-Ab, making the bass note Db rather than Ab. I also know that there is no real chord symbol for many of Bill's voicings. For example, he often puts both the major 6 and major 7 in the same major chord. I suppose it could be notated as maj13, but of course that does not exist in iReal Pro.

|| Db∆ - - | Ab7b9sus/Db - - | Db∆ - - | Db7sus - - | Db∆ - - | A69/Db - - | Db∆ - - | Abm7 - G13 |

| Gb∆ - - | C7alt - - | Dbo/F - Fm7 | Bbm9 - - | Bo - Ebm9 | B13 - Ab7b9 | Ab7b9 - Db∆ |Db∆ Abm7 G13 |

| Gb∆ - - | C7alt - - | Dbo/F - Fm7 | E13 - Eb13#11 | Eb13#11 - A13 | Ab13#11 - Ab7b9 | Ab7b9 Db6/Ab | Db6/Ab Ab7#11b9sus - ||

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Jer,
    thanks, i’ll try yours. maybe i like it!

iReal supports maj13 , doesn’t it?
    ... the iReal player’s voicings doesn’t suit well depending on a song though.
    Last edited by shin1ro; 02-24-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shin1ro View Post
    Jer,
    iReal supports maj13 , doesn’t it?
    ... the iReal player’s voicings doesn’t suit well depending on a song though.
    Yes, ▵13 is recognized by the iRp player.
    Different player styles may generate different chord voicings. The voicings may also change each time the player is started and a new track is generated.
    )BOB