Thread: Change key for one section only (in the Numbers Font)

Default Change key for one section only (in the Numbers Font)

I have an AABA tune in which the key of the B pert is the dominant key, counting from the key of the verses. Of course, when editing in a given key, all I need to do is write out the appropriate chords and this displays and plays back correctly. But when I display in number notation, I want the tonic of the bridge to appear as 1, not as 5. Thus, I want, in effect, to select the B section of the tune and set the key to a different key from the verses, without transposing. The only thing that would then be affected is the numbering of the chords in the B section when displayed in number notation. I would add an annotation in text to explain to the reader what is implied.

Is there a way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by shenkin View Post
    I have an AABA tune in which the key of the B pert is the dominant key, counting from the key of the verses. Of course, when editing in a given key, all I need to do is write out the appropriate chords and this displays and plays back correctly. But when I display in number notation, I want the tonic of the bridge to appear as 1, not as 5. Thus, I want, in effect, to select the B section of the tune and set the key to a different key from the verses, without transposing. The only thing that would then be affected is the numbering of the chords in the B section when displayed in number notation. I would add an annotation in text to explain to the reader what is implied.

Is there a way to do this?
    Sure, but the resulting chart wouldn't play correctly in the player.

You can only edit charts using chord names in a key, not in number font view.

So, edit a DUPLICATE of your chart.
    Transpose it so the B section is in the original song's tonic key. (Set and Transpose)
    Highlight and COPY the B section.
    Set and Transpose back to the original key.
    Highlight the (original key) B section and PASTE the new B section in its place.
    Using text, in the first space of the B section, include your annotation.
    Also remember to annotate the return to the original key.
    Done, Save.

The chart will display as you wish in the number font, but will be incorrect in the other fonts.
    Neither will it play correctly in the app.
    Please don't post the incorrect chart in the forums.

Instead, I suppose you could use alternate chords to write out the B section in the Tonic key above the main chords in the Dominant key and use text to explain your intention. Alternate chords are smaller but are ignored by the player.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-10-2019 at 04:11 AM.