Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream - Ellington-Hodges-George

Default It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream - Ellington-Hodges-George

Hello, It Shouldn't Happen to a Dream will not play due to an issue in measure 26. Can you resolve this and repost?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-13-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Moved here from Sandboc

Hi Amy
    Sometimes in personal playlists posted in the Sandbox, I and others will post "read-only" performance charts. In order to not overlap chord qualities sometimes we use "incorrect" but readable spacing that confuses the player feature.

This readjusted chart will play for you.
    )BOB

It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream 2SJ - Ellington-Hodges-George

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Hi Amy
    Sometimes in personal playlists posted in the Sandbox, I and others will post "read-only" performance charts. In order to not overlap chord qualities sometimes we use "incorrect" but readable spacing that confuses the player feature.

This readjusted chart will play for you.
    )BOB

It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream 2SJ - Ellington-Hodges-George
    Yeah, it confuses my piano accompanist too. I'm not much of a music theorist, so I really dread his criticism of a chart not meeting his standards in this app(insert eye roll!). Most of the charts are good, a few need tweaking. I really appreciate your quick reply and fix. I do have a question - when I play the chart one time through, it won't play the B section because of the coda. If I set it to 2x, it plays correctly. Should I remove the coda? Or will that mess things up?

~amy
    SC

Hi amymhancock.

Nice chart.

You may not know that the fermatas and the text "Fine" are not functional.

Fermatas don't work in iReal Pro; there's no way to slow down the tempo. It's a feature many of us have requested.

The text "Fine" is just an indicator for the reader. Unless you use the "END" tag, a tune will always end one beat after the last measure. When you use the "END" tag, the tune will end on the first beat of the measure the tag is in.

If you want that last Ab69 to end the tune on the fourth beat of the last measure, you have to cheat with a workaround.

Divide the last measure into two measures of 3/4 time each, put the Ab69 on the first beat of the second 3/4 time measure, and put the "END" tag right under it. You can add the "Fine" text on top of the "END" tag to remind the reader, as the "END" tag is invisible in play mode.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by amymhancock View Post
    Yeah, it confuses my piano accompanist too. I'm not much of a music theorist, so I really dread his criticism of a chart not meeting his standards in this app(insert eye roll!). Most of the charts are good, a few need tweaking. I really appreciate your quick reply and fix. I do have a question - when I play the chart one time through, it won't play the B section because of the coda. If I set it to 2x, it plays correctly. Should I remove the coda? Or will that mess things up?

~amy
    Hi Amy,
    As you open the chart in the editor, select DUPLICATE instead of "Edit".
    Experiment..... You can always start over because you haven't changed the "original".
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Hi amymhancock.

You may not know that the fermatas and the text "Fine" are not functional.

The text "Fine" is just an indicator for the reader.

<snip>

Cheers,
    Jer
    “Fine", in association with DC or DS (al Fine), can be used to mark the completion of the song's "form" for the player feature.
    If there are player repeats remaining, the song will jump to and restart at the first A Section.
    )BOB
    Using "Fine" Example:
    All The Pretty Little Horses [#] - ARR: be2sharp
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Good point, Bob. I missed that. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

It's strange that Fine won't work by itself but will in conjunction with D.S. or D.C. al Fine.

I notice in your example that there is also an END tag at the Fine — which in this case was unnecessary.

Ah, there's no end to the mysteries of iReal Pro.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    there is also an END tag at the Fine — which in this case was unnecessary.

Ah, there's no end to the mysteries of iReal Pro.

Cheers,
    Jer

Bill added the END instruction in his example to have the player stop on the first beat of the last measure of the form (Fine) the final repeat. Without the END instruction, the player will automatically play an (unwritten) extra "ending" bar.
    As you know, the END is also used to stop the player from playing "turnaround" chords written in the final bar of the chart at the conclusion of the final player repeat.

It can be confusing. While Fine, END and Coda can each be used to mark the conclusion of a chart, they each provide different instructions to the player.

- Fine marks the conclusion of the form each repeat.
    - END says "song ends here. Don't play extra stuff the last time"
    - Coda says "play this instead (or in addition) the last time"
    (In some songs that use DC or DS al coda, the coda is intended to be played every song repeat. This is done to conserve space in iRp's current single-page format)
    https://irealpro.com/how-the-coda-sy...-in-ireal-pro/

A chart could actually contain all three instructions (each used properly)

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Bill added the END instruction in his example to have the player stop on the first beat of the last measure of the form (Fine) the final repeat. Without the END instruction, the player will automatically play an (unwritten) extra "ending" bar.
    Of course. Silly of me to miss that.

Got it: The D.C. al Fine results in the Fine being the last full bar played, plus an additional ending beat. The END tag stops it on the first beat of the Fine bar.

I actually knew all this and have used all three instructions in one chart. Just never thought about explaining it.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Actually, thank you for presenting me with the opportunity to clarify information that will be helpful in the future to other members. Many (most) issues and concerns are commonly experienced. I always try to keep that in mind when posting explanations on the forums. There are members and users reading everything all the time.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/online.php
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.