Thread: Appalachian Rain - Ben Eldridge

Default Appalachian Rain - Ben Eldridge

On Seldom Scene's Old Train album.

The intro / coda is 6 bars. I widened them to make the rest of the 8 bar sections line up correctly, but it looks kind of ugly. Is there a better way to make the line break after the intro, and just leave some space at the end of a line?

Appalachian Rain - Ben Eldridge (Seldom Scene) (revised)
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-12-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
    On Seldom Scene's Old Train album.

The intro / coda is 6 bars. I widened them to make the rest of the 8 bar sections line up correctly, but it looks kind of ugly. Is there a better way to make the line break after the intro, and just leave some space at the end of a line?

Appalachian Rain - Ben Eldridge (Seldom Scene) (original)

Here's my lay-out of your chart (in the Quote above)

Appalachian Rain 1 - Ben Eldridge (Seldom Scene)

When a section is a different length than expected, it's kind of a heads-up if the chart reflects that by not being "square".
    I prefer "-" for minor. If chords are bunched together, it's easier to read.
    When a repeated chord "wraps around" two lines, it's good to write it again at the start of the next line.
    When there's enough room on the page, there's less chance for confusion when the final "jump-to" section is simply copied at the end of the chart.
    This chart's form is In,In,AA,BB,CC.
    Your chart works ok. I've shared mine in response to your question and offered some explaination.
    )BOB
    Again, these are still your changes, I can't confirm they accurately reflect your reference track.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTFsWuFI3o
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-12-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks, pdx. How did you get the space at the end of the second staff in the Intro? I couldn't figure out how to do that. That's why I made the measures in the intro so wide.

Point taken re showing the repeated chord at the beginning of each staff.

Your form is wrong. What you have labeled as the C section is a coda, which is identical to the intro. The song runs the intro, then goes AABB AABB for a while, then the coda (intro). That's why I did it as a D.C. If I put a coda at the end, without a D.S., will it just drop in to the coda after the specified number of reps? If so, it makes sense to notate it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
    Thanks, pdx. How did you get the space at the end of the second staff in the Intro? I couldn't figure out how to do that. That's why I made the measures in the intro so wide.

Point taken re showing the repeated chord at the beginning of each staff.

Your form is wrong. What you have labeled as the C section is a coda, which is identical to the intro. The song runs the intro, then goes AABB AABB for a while, then the coda (intro). That's why I did it as a D.C. If I put a coda at the end, without a D.S., will it just drop in to the coda after the specified number of reps? If so, it makes sense to notate it that way.
    In the editor, when you highlight some spaces you are presented with several choices.
    One of the options is "insert space". There are also two buttons "x" delete space and "+” insert space. You could add a series of spaces.
    I was confused by the orphan close-repeat bar-sign at the end of your Intro.
    Using DC or DS includes the jump-to section in the form which will be repeated per player repeat settings.
    For your chart, In,AABB,coda would be the best way to chart it.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-11-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I've updated the chart in my original post. I think it's good now.

Appalachian Rain 2 - Ben Eldridge (Seldom Scene)
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-12-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added "fixed" chart

When there's on-going discussion about a chart, it's good to post the "fixed" version at the end of the discussion for the benefit of those following the thread.
    There will likely be other app users with similar issues.
    Helping them figure it out is just as important as fixing one chart.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-12-2018 at 01:35 AM.