Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 repeats

Default 3 repeats

Am testing: wanna have 3 repeats, in third repeat leave the brackets by volta bracket. Cannot get it to work.
    Thanks! Tom
    ! Repeats - Unknown Composer

Quote Originally Posted by 1word View Post
    Am testing: wanna have 3 repeats, in third repeat leave the brackets by volta bracket. Cannot get it to work.
    Thanks! Tom
    I'm not entirely sure how you want your example to play.

The only reasons to use notation devices like multiple endings, various repeat instructions (3x) DS, DC etc. are to save "ink"and chart space (because of the iRp single-page format) or to make the chart easier for a musician to read and follow.
    There are many ways to write what you want the musician (and player) to play. Which I would choose depends on the context of the whole chart.
    So, for help with a part of a chart, please post the entire chart so we can see the issue in its correct context. (Even if you need to split the chart into two pages.

While non-standard work-arounds may cause the player to act in a specific way, they can be confusing to a musician.
    (eg. Starting with a 2nd ending without a 1st ending)

Here are examples of ways to get your phrases to play as (I think) you might want.
    Note that I condensed the second phrase slightly to keep the chart neat and square.
    To determine how much more various elements in the chart would need to be condensed, the whole chart must be considered.

! Repeats 2 1 - Example

More information:

Lay-out conventions:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...ut-conventions

PLAYER CHARTS vs. READER CHARTS
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...5854#post25854

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-19-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how you want your example to play.
    )BOB
    Thanks Bob. Your example was helpful. I want it to play like the last system you coded: stay within the brackets two times, then leave them after 2. measure to play the end. Your code is clear, but requires more space. Normally in sheets that is expressed in a "1-2" under the first volta and a "3" under the second, that leads to fine. As this obviously is not possible in ireal (as you showed me)one has to do your shown workaround with three (waste) volta brackets. Pitty that ireal does not understand my example: Play the repeats until the "2" matches the volta-repeat, in third repeat choose "3." volta bracket.

I try to understand how ireal works in these situations, for getting succesful results in my coded charts/songs.
    So you helped me, thank you!
    (Will be back soon with the D.S. to xx ending issue, which is quite inscrutable to understand, as ireal deals it and reacts.)

What 1word (and I, that's what brings me to this thread) needs is something quite commonly encountered in scores. Has anyone made this feature request yet? It'd be great to be able to use voltas the way they were intended to work!

Normally in sheets that is expressed in a "1-2" under the first volta and a "3" under the second,
    I would expect this to work:

Quote Originally Posted by sciurius View Post
    I would expect this to work:
    No. It plays one repeat (I want two repeats), then continues in bracket 3.

Interesting. Most musical notation programs I know interpret "alternative 1" ... "alternative 3" as "alternative 1-2" ... "alternative 3".

This is the silly way, ireal understands it:
    ! Repeats 1 - Unknown Composer

Well, at least this makes the intentions very clear .

It would be nice if IRP could understand ——1.2.—:|| ——3.—||