Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garageband and iReal b

Quote Originally Posted by PBratnober View Post
    Hello, dflat ~
    What do you mean by "click the export audio button (8th note+arrow)"?? My version of iReal Pro is Version 6.0.1 for Mac OS X, and I'm not seeing this anywhere. I'm sorry if mine is an elementary question, but I'm not seeing a procedure for importing tracks from iReal Pro for Mac OS X into Garageband. Thanks in advance for your support. ~ Phil B.
    Sorry for the confusion Phil, I was replying to the post relating to the iOS version of iReal Pro, not Mac OS X. It was wrongly posted in this forum.
    To import the audio file using OS X version:
    Set the player settings, key, number of repeats, mixer volumes etc. for the song
    Share (top right)>Song to WAV
    Choose a location to save it in
    Open GB, set up a song
    Then simply drag the song file into the timeline (it seems to create a new track for the file)

I hope this helps.

Default IReal and Garageband

Is there a way I can import iReal files (songs) to Garageband if I want to make a recording?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-04-2017 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDennis View Post
    Is there a way I can import iReal files (songs) to Garageband if I want to make a recording?
    Remember to search before posting.
    )BOB

Default Exporting MIDI files to Garageband

I am importing a MIDI file into GarageBand and I have the following problem.

The levels of each instrument are fixed and I can't change them. I can't change the volume on every single track.

Is there any way I can modify the MIDI files I composed in iReal?

I shared a song file in iReal Pro as a midi file, dragged into GB and it created these instruments as you see (piano, click, bass, drums).
    The midi drum track is not much use sometimes as we use our own internal drum mappings, but you should be able to add drum loops.
    The red arrow shows where you change volume for each track.
    To edit, double-click on the instrument's content and it opens up the Piano roll or Score below.

Are you sure you exported a midi file? Share>Share audio. Choose midi from the choices in the menu (not AAC or WAV).

Exporting an audio file instead will not allow you to separate the individual volumes as it is one (stereo) track. You would have to mix it within iReal Pro before exporting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GB vol.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	474  

Yes, it was a MIDI file.

My problem is I canīt modify the volume of each track. For example, drum track is at 100% of volume. I can modify this level while the track is playing but only while is playing. If I stop the track or export the new file, the volume return to 100%.

If you click the down arrow (see my red arrow) it will change to an up arrow and display an additional area below. From the menu you can select Track Volume as you see here.
    You can either click a lower point in the volume track (my yellow arrow) to lower it (or use it along its length to make specific adjustments during play); or uncheck the green square (my blue arrow) to turn off volume track (so you can then move the slider).

Does this work?

Name:	GB midi vol2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	475  

Embedded in the midi track(s) is volume at the start of the song.
    I can see this in Apple Logic (green vertical line at the playhead). (The Step editor or Event editor will show this information).
    And it looks like it is possible to export a midi track, so you could delete the volume setting and export it.

I am not familiar with GB to know if you can do this process or not, but if it is not possible (should you wish to do this), another DAW or midi editor app would probably do the same.
    I hope this information is helpful.

Name:	Logic midi vol.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	476  

Thanks. You have the old version of GB. The new one is more like Logic.
    I followed your hint and it works.

Thanks

I'm new in iRP (great app!) and I wish to import the tracks into Garageband.
    The iRP drum sounds quite realistic because is designed to play many different styles in iRP but is not a very high quality sound.
    So I tried to solve this "issue" avoiding to change midi notes (hoping to find the right sample) each time I import a new iRP midi track.

I found my simple solution (OSX+GB10) using in GB the iReal drum soundfont and equalizing it in this way:
    - Find the file "iRealSounds.sf2" inside iReal Pro application and make a copy.
    - Install Sforzando stand alone + vst (free Sf2 player https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html).
    - Open the stand alone Sforzando. Menu 'Instrument'>'import' to import the copy of iRealSounds.sf2.
    - Open a new project in GB and load the exported iRP midi file.
    - On the drum track:
    • activate Sforzando as new vst plugin;
    • activate the effect plugin that you want and find your best combination (I use 'Channel EQ'+'Compressor'+'Binaural'+'Spread').

Now you have a better drum sound without changing midi notes nor remapping other drum instruments !
    Of course I suppose is it possible to use freely the iRealSounds.sf2 file for this purpose exclusively and I please the Administrator to confirm this.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-10-2020 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Moved to Mac thread