Thread: New Guitar Method Book and FREE Online Course, Using iReal Pro!

Default New Guitar Method Book and FREE Online Course, Using iReal Pro!

I based this FREE 5 Year Online Course off of my guitar method books and the syllabus I have used at Seattle University, where I have been an Adjunct Professor since 2006. I am probably one of the most structured guitar teachers, and I teach all my students the fundamentals of music using this flexible plan, because it helps them become the most well-rounded, creative, and adaptable guitarists. Get the book and use the FREE course, and sign up for single lessons with a teacher when you need help!

Here are three iReal pro charts from the program as an example

Guitar Lesson Companion, Vol- 1: Track 001 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

Guitar Lesson Companion, Vol- 1: Track 054 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

Guitar Lesson Companion, Vol- 1: Track 108 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

You can download or stream all the tracks (127 for Volume One, and 208 for Volume Two) here: Audio Tracks

There are 90 free lesson videos and here's a sample:<strong>

Access the syllabus with the weekly lesson plan, and quick link to all 90 videos by topic: College Syllabus

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for checking it out.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-31-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Format
    Susan Palmer, Adjunct Professor at Seattle University

FREE 5 Year Guitar Online Course | FaceBook | YouTube | LinkedIn | Instagram

Thank you Susan! (For including the iRp charts)
    Looks like a great course.

I think it's always better to be able to practice using audio directly from the iRp chart in the app using the player feature so you can take full advantage of iReal pro's cool practice features. (While off-line!!!)
    Designate your own looping section.
    Set your own tempo
    Automatic tempo increase
    Transpose
    Select your preferred style(s)
    Choose drums or a 'click' track.

Thanks for sharing an excellent resource.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-31-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Thank you Susan! (For including the iRp charts)
    Looks like a great course.

I think it's always better to be able to practice using audio directly from the iRp chart in the app using the player feature so you can take full advantage of iReal pro's cool practice features. (While off-line!!!)
    Designate your own looping section.
    Set tour own tempo
    Automatic tempo increase
    Transpose
    Select your preferred style(s)
    Choose drums or a 'click' track.

Thanks for sharing an excellent resource.
    )BOB
    The feedback I've been given is that the app is too expensive for most folks (when they are just using it for this book series) and the instrumentations are not "real" enough. That's why many of the tracks students can stream were recorded with real instruments/musicians. Having them stream the tracks also ensures that they get the tempos that I require they perform, and all the tracks can also be downloaded for free from the website.

I agree that the app has some cool features, and especially for Part Two of Volume One, which is mostly chords and rhythm practice. For Volume Two, the intermediate-advanced book, the app is very effective. It also helps at that point that the students are learning how to solo using Jazz standards, and all those charts are already here on the forum. (There's also a playlist I developed for the book that students can download directly from my website.

Thanks for checking it out, and I hope it helps lots of guitar teachers and their students!

Quote Originally Posted by LeadCatPress View Post

. (There are also two iRp playlists I developed for the book that students can download directly from my website.

Thanks for checking it out, and I hope it helps lots of guitar teachers and their students!
    Here:
    http://leadcatpress.com/WordPress/20...d-book-series/

Thank you Susan,
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-01-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post

I'd like to direct folks to the page about the method books and the Free Course, because the Audio Tracks are useless on their own, and unhelpful in describing the Free Course that uses them.
    http://leadcatpress.com/WordPress/guitar-method-books/

I thought some folks might wonder why I’m offering this FREE 5 Year Online Guitar Course:
    • My first reason is because it’s almost impossible for young musicians to be accepted into college music programs unless they have had years of private music lessons, which cost thousands of dollars. That means that the only students who can study music in college are the ones who could afford music lessons in high school. That’s not fair, and it’s something I’ve addressed in the Faculty Fellows Program I completed at Seattle University while introducing Academic Service Learning to my courses in 2010.
    • My second reason is to help new guitar teachers who may need help creating lesson plans for their students. These teachers may also need a quick refresher of a concept, or to see a new way of presenting material to their students. There are so few guitar teachers who teach the fundamentals of music to all of their students, and I want to help make it easier for them to teach these important concepts. (Fellow Guitar Teachers: Let’s hang in the Teacher’s Lounge to see if I can help you)
    • My third reason is that this information will help my current Seattle University students and my private students stay on track and get the most out of their time with me. By referring them to lesson videos here, they can get help in between lessons, or move faster through the material if they feel like it.
    • My fourth reason is that I know a lot of folks are busy these days, and they may want to work at their own pace. Since the best way to learn is to study with a good guitar teacher, working through the material independently and then checking in with me (or another teacher who uses this series) when they complete a section or have a question can be very efficient and effective.

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to check out the course. Cheers!